  • Rudge, Janet

    Rudge, Janet Oct. 18, 2001, 12:14 p.m. (Message 27923)

    RE: SPINKIE DEN

    I searched on google.com for "Spinkie Den" and came up several
    references including http://www.rpasmith.co.uk/leven.htm
    ("Find your way around Leven, in Fife, Scotland.") -

    Letham Glen - Leven has long been renowned for the quality of
    its parks, principally Letham Glen on the northern outskirts of
    the town.  The Glen, once locally known as 'Spinkie Den', contains
    pleasant wooded walks along the banks of the Scoonie Burn and
    floral displays which are a riot of colour in spring and summer.
    For many, the main attraction is its 'Pets Corner', now known as
    the 'Animal Centre', which includes a range of birds and furry
    animals of much interest to children.  In the early years of last
    century, Letham Glen was the location of an outdoor swimming pool;
    later, the site of the pool was converted into a sunken garden
    which still remains as an attractive feature of the park.

    Spinkie Den is also mentioned in this diary of nature walks -
    http://www.maison-otaku.net/~mikado/britain/49.html
    and this poem, Sunday Run, by Donald Macgregor -
    http://homepages.which.net/~donald.macgregor/sundayrun.html

    Encouragingly, Google also found "Spinkie Den" on the RSCDS
    Glasgow website and DanceData.

    Hope this helps!

    Jan
    (at work in High Wycombe, UK, and not very busy this morning!)