Lee Fuell

Pre-Booking (was Cribs)

Oct. 8, 2001, 10:33 p.m. (Message 27790)

My limited observations of pre-booking have mostly involved older
dancers.  Was this once common and considered proper ballroom
etiquette?  I agree that in today's culture, this appears elitist and
exclusive, but are we just dealing with a generation gap?  If so, it
will die out (no morbid pun intended...) on its own.

Patty and I have taken to pre-booking some dances with each
other (never more than a very limited number on a program,
though!).  We were originally taught that the accepted practice was
to dance the first and last dance of a program with one's
spouse/significant other/date, and all other dances with others.  On
this list, I have seen this modified to first, last, and one "special"
dance.  However, we are finding that the first dance of a program is
often an "easy opener" that is not as interesting as later dances,
so we often don't dance this one together.  We prefer instead to
pick a more interesting dance later in the program that we wish to
share with each other.  Finishers are usually good, but sometimes
we'll trade this one off for another if there's a second dance
somewhere else on the program we wish to do together.

One practice that complicates this approach that I wish masters of
ceremonies would not do is have a grand march lead right into the
first dance of the program.  This locks everyone into dancing the
first dance with their grand march partner, usually one's significant
other.  I much prefer a grand march that ends with applause for the
musicians, a clearing of the floor, then a call to form sets for the
first dance.

So, is this form of limited pre-booking also socially frowned upon,
or within the accepted envelope of ballroom etiquette?

Lee

Send reply to:  	xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Date sent:      	Mon, 08 Oct 2001 13:51:12 -0400
From:           	Lara Friedman-Shedlov <xxxxxx@xx.xxxxx.xxx>