  • Lee Fuell

    Lee Fuell Oct. 8, 2001, 10:33 p.m. (Message 27790)

    Pre-Booking (was Cribs)

    My limited observations of pre-booking have mostly involved older
    dancers.  Was this once common and considered proper ballroom
    etiquette?  I agree that in today's culture, this appears elitist and
    exclusive, but are we just dealing with a generation gap?  If so, it
    will die out (no morbid pun intended...) on its own.

    Patty and I have taken to pre-booking some dances with each
    other (never more than a very limited number on a program,
    though!).  We were originally taught that the accepted practice was
    to dance the first and last dance of a program with one's
    spouse/significant other/date, and all other dances with others.  On
    this list, I have seen this modified to first, last, and one "special"
    dance.  However, we are finding that the first dance of a program is
    often an "easy opener" that is not as interesting as later dances,
    so we often don't dance this one together.  We prefer instead to
    pick a more interesting dance later in the program that we wish to
    share with each other.  Finishers are usually good, but sometimes
    we'll trade this one off for another if there's a second dance
    somewhere else on the program we wish to do together.

    One practice that complicates this approach that I wish masters of
    ceremonies would not do is have a grand march lead right into the
    first dance of the program.  This locks everyone into dancing the
    first dance with their grand march partner, usually one's significant
    other.  I much prefer a grand march that ends with applause for the
    musicians, a clearing of the floor, then a call to form sets for the
    first dance.

    So, is this form of limited pre-booking also socially frowned upon,
    or within the accepted envelope of ballroom etiquette?

    Lee

    Send reply to:  	xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Date sent:      	Mon, 08 Oct 2001 13:51:12 -0400
    From:           	Lara Friedman-Shedlov <xxxxxx@xx.xxxxx.xxx>