  • Adam Hughes

    Adam Hughes Oct. 4, 2001, 1:38 p.m. (Message 27736)

    Re: Contr(a/y)/Square, etc.

    Hi Bob,

    Intriguing.  What you have descibed, I would call an English Ladies'
    Chain, or a chain with a closed or power turn.  In contra I have always
    met women who prefer to dance an open chain, as is Scottish, but with
    the mans arm raise an the lady turning under his arm as in the Gay
    gordons.  The woman will normally lead the chain with her left arm, to
    show whether she prefers to dance the closed, open or turned variety.
    Usually, as Pat says, men I have danced with have moved into the ladies
    place and the turn is more to sway places than with the man acting as a
    pivot.

    The most interesting difference for me is that the Contra dances will
    say Ladies' chain where the Scottish dances would say half Ladies' chain.

    Adam