  • Adam Hughes

    Adam Hughes Oct. 4, 2001, 1:38 p.m. (Message 27735)

    Re: Cribs (was Re: Square dancing.)

    Hi

    Lara Friedman-Shedlov wrote:

    > Quoting Adam Hughes <xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xx.xx>:
    >>What I'd really like is for everyone to understand Pilling...
    >
    > It's ironic that you cite Pilling as (presumably) an example of clear
    > and "unmystical" cribs.

    No, I mentioned Pilling as an example of the worst case since if people
    could understand that, surely they'd have no trouble at all with mere
    words...

    Like you, I took to Pilling instantly.  It is the way my head works.
    But I am surrounded by dancers who find translating dances from the
    written word to movement very difficult.

    > Most dances I go to do not rely soley on cribs, anyway.  In these
    > parts, 99.9% of the time, dances are always briefed at a social event.
    > If the crib wasn't crystal clear, the briefing often helps to clarify.

    I have been to only four social events (balls) since I started dancing a
    few years ago which had briefs for all dances.  I organised three of the
    four, and while I have received no hate mail, I certainly am looked down
    on by the local RSCDS Branch for dumbing down SCD.  The fourth was a
    wonderful surprise at last year's SUSCDF at St Andrews, which also had a
    written crib and a page of dances not in the 7th edition supplied in
    Pilling Notation, so all three media were covered.

    Is it the norm outside the UK (or even in the UK) for dances to be briefed?

    Adam