  • Adam Hughes

    Adam Hughes Oct. 3, 2001, 2:03 p.m. (Message 27692)

    Re: Square dancing. Was: Contra dancing

    Thanks Pat.  I didn't appreciate the difference.  It sounds like here we
    get some "Traditional" square at our fortnightly contra evenings, and it
    is the "Western" Square dancers who get uptight about us not doing them
    right, much like some of the SCDers get when we dance Posties Jig twice
    through without stopping at a Ceilidh.

    The point was:
    Calling and writing cribs, listening to callers and reading cribs.  They
    are two parallel sets of skills, and neither is harder than the other.
    America has lots of good callers, the UK has fewer, but cribs only need
    writing once well to still be valid.  Both western square clubs and SCD
    clubs attach a mystique to reading these runes, which I think is daft.

    What can we do to make cribbing more accessible?  Since the accepted
    method of learnig a dance for a SCD ball is by cribbing, should we be
    teaching cribbing in classes, as much as teaching by walk through?  Has
    anyone any good resource for teaching people to read cribs?

    Adam
    Cambridge, UK.