Adam Hughes

Re: Contra dancing

Oct. 2, 2001, 8:07 p.m. (Message 27673, in reply to message 27671)

Alan Twhigg wrote:

> since the dances are usually called throughout, it is
> a more approachable form for participation by new
> dancers.

Oh, how I wish this were true.  Listening to a caller is as much a skill
a reading Pilling.  Square dances are all called and they have a medal
system which means you can't must sit out certain dances if you haven't
got the medal!  Now that is surely even more off-putting to newcomers
than any RSCDS class.

Walking through each dance before dancing it is why a formal Contra is
more accessible than a Scottish Ball.  And it is why there is a scary
jump from a class to a Ball.

Adam