  • Rebecca Sager

    Rebecca Sager Sept. 27, 2001, 1:20 a.m. (Message 27540)

    Re: Incredible Dance escape this year ?(plus the tiniest "peep")

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:18:31 +0100 "Pia Walker" <xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
    writes:

    > or what about Ireland -

    I grew up in England where Irish jokes are as prevalent as Polish jokes
    in the Northern US, or as Alabama jokes in my adopted state of Georgia. I
    never had much desire to go there.
    But I had the opportunity to accompany my more affluent sister and her
    husband on a driving tour of the South of Ireland, from September 11th
    (which used to be famous for being my birthday) until the 18th.
    What a lovely country! What hospitable people at all the B. and B.s.
    Here comes the peep:
    On Friday, September 14th, Ireland was closed in a day of mourning, and I
    mean really closed. The gas stations were closed the shops were closed
    the restaurants were closed and, horrors, the pubs were closed.
    I was truly moved by this gesture and the concern expressed by everyone
    when they learned that I and my retired firefighter friend (who was also
    on the trip looking for his Irish roots) were Americans.
    I'll never tell another Irish joke, and woe betide anyone who speaks
    badly of these dear people in my presence.

    Becky

    Becky Sager
    Marietta GA USA