  • Anselm Lingnau

    Anselm Lingnau Sept. 18, 2001, 9:20 a.m. (Message 27400)

    Re: Six-Twenty 2-step

    xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:

    > I am doing a bit of background on the 6 20 2step, written by Jimmy
    > Shand and  used, I'm told, as his theme song for his radio program.
    > I learned it as the tune for White Heather Jig.

    Well, as far as I know it wasn't really officially *his* radio program,
    although of course at the time Jimmy Shand and Scottish dance music
    were pretty much the same thing :^)

    > WHJ is 40 bars with a
    > little  tag at the end of the 32 bars.  Can anyone confirm my feeling
    > that this  little tag is actually a means to make the music fit the
    > dance, and that the  tune actually doesn't contain it.

    If you look at Cosh's book it says

      THE WHITE HEATHER JIG

      To the ADAPTED music of the Six Twenty Two Step. [my emphasis]

      32 bars A + 8 bars. 32 B + 8 bars. 32 C + 8 bars. 32 A + 8 bars.
      Omit 16 bars of A between B and C.

    In my experience music directions don't come more detailed than this ...

    Anselm
    --
    Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    A lawyer without history or literature is a mechanic, a mere working mason; if