Arthur's Seat - last two bars

Lydia Hedge

May 21, 2019, 8:48 p.m. (Message 70706)

Greetings,

"Arthur's Seat" is from the "18th C Book" (My copy is a revised edition - 1963 or
1967)

 http://my.strathspey.org/dd/dance/245/

In the original wording, the 1s "turn by the right to own sides" on the last two bars.
This is supported by the notes for the 2nd time thru, which say "cross to own sides,
to the bottom of the set".

On SCDDB, the cribs both indicate that this is a petronella turn (as is often the case
in hello-goodbye).

The videos (only one on SCDDB, a 2nd one is available on the SCD Dictionary)
differ on the last two bars. One shows a petronella turn; the other shows a RH turn.

Any recommendations on how to teach those last two bars?

Thank you.

Lydia Hedge
Nova Scotia, Canada
Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

May 21, 2019, 8:59 p.m. (Message 70707, in reply to message 70706)

Petronella.  "Turn by the right" isn't the same as "turn by right hands."

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California
Lydia Hedge

Lydia Hedge

May 21, 2019, 9:27 p.m. (Message 70709, in reply to message 70707)

Thank you Steve and Robb.

Petronella it is.

Lydia
Bruce Herbold

Bruce Herbold

May 21, 2019, 9:28 p.m. (Message 70710, in reply to message 70707)

That is the way we dance it around here in San Francisco, but I find that
last note about 'cross to their own sides" very suggestive.  We do not
argue if 'cross to own sides' involves giving hands or not (although one
would in ECD), but we have developed much more precise language about our
dance form so that now interpret 'turn by the right' as different from
'turn with right hand.'  I very much suspect that Mr MacConachie did not
use our modern strict terminology.  Similarly, when he says 'cross to own
sides' I think he did not feel a need to specify which hand to give, any
more than he felt he needed to say to give hands while crossing.  By
extrapolation, I think his turn byt the right implied at the time, a giving
of hands --- it also flows into the start of the second time through in the
kind of free-wheeling style I associate with many of his dances.

Opinions, I got a million of 'em,

Bruce Herbold
Oakland CA
Paula

Paula

May 21, 2019, 9:44 p.m. (Message 70712, in reply to message 70710)

Looking at the other descriptions in the 18th Century Book, it is
evident that Mr. MacConachie consistently indicates whether or not
hands are used in any formation.

Paula Jacobson
Aptos, CA.
Murrough Landon

Murrough Landon

May 21, 2019, 10:44 p.m. (Message 70713, in reply to message 70712)

Hi,
   I have added the second video to SCDDB, added links to the
   strathspey archive discussions to the extra notes for the dance and
   also added a note on the first video to mention them.
Cheers,  Murrough.
arthur mclean

arthur mclean

May 22, 2019, 2:09 a.m. (Message 70714, in reply to message 70707)

Jack McConachie was my first Highland Dance teacher in the 1950s and I
have a copy of Jack's original publication, signed by him in October
1960.Here is his actual wording for the last 8 bars:-25-30   First
couple "set to Corners-set to partner" (Diagram 3)  (see notes below),
finishing with the lady facing up, and the man facing down (6
steps).31-32   First couple turn each other with right hands to own
side, in 2nd place.The notes for 25-30 give a very detailed
explanation of 6 bars of "set to corners and partner" as normally
danced today and "diagram 3" shows the 1st couple facing 1st corners
and moving to face each other in 2nd place opposite sides.  He clearly
states "Turn by RH" for bars 31-32.The crib notes on SCDDB do NOT
match the instructions published in 1960.  Whether these have been
based on changes made by Jack in later revisions of his book, or have
crept in by the more common way "set to corners and partner" is danced
today, I do not know.Cheers,ArthurAustin, TX

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California
Paula

Paula

May 22, 2019, 2:32 a.m. (Message 70715, in reply to message 70714)

I have the revised 1963 version of the book, which has the notes
regarding “set to corners-set to partners” with the last two bars
unstated. I took this to mean that Jack had decided not to make this a
RH turn.
Paula
Brian Charlton

Brian Charlton

May 22, 2019, 4:59 a.m. (Message 70716, in reply to message 70715)

Hello,

I have a printed copy of the Jack McConachie Book of Dances, which has the
publication dates listed in some detail - i.e. First Edition 1960,Second
Edition (Revised, Update and Enlarged) 1962, plus others, the last one
being "Reprinted 1990".

The last 2 bars of Arthur's Seat say "First couple turn by the right to own
side, in second place."

Brian Charlton
Jerry Burns

Jerry Burns

May 21, 2019, 9:01 p.m. (Message 70708, in reply to message 70706)

This is sometimes an issue of confusion, even in older RSCDS numbered
books.  We "moderns" more or less associate "turn" with taking hands.
But that was not the case a while back with the expression "turn by
the right."  Notice, Lydia, that what you have quoted does not state
right HAND(s).  Our modern lingo for this is more typically "pull(ing)
right shoulder(s) back," in cues often just "RS back."  And so my
opinion is that "turn by the right to own sides" does NOT mean to take
hands at all but rather to, as you mention as an option, perform
something akin to a petronella.  As you report, this viewpoint is
supported by what is found on the SCDDB.  And so I would say that the
one outlier video is not correct.
Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
In a message dated 5/21/2019 9:48:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xx writes:

Greetings,
"Arthur's Seat" is from the "18th C Book" (My copy is a revised edition - 1963 or 1967)
http://my.strathspey.org/dd/dance/245/
In the original wording, the 1s "turn by the right to own sides" on
the last two bars. This is supported by the notes for the 2nd time
thru, which say "cross to own sides, to the bottom of the set".
On SCDDB, the cribs both indicate that this is a petronella turn (as
is often the case in hello-goodbye).
The videos (only one on SCDDB, a 2nd one is available on the SCD
Dictionary) differ on the last two bars. One shows a petronella turn;
the other shows a RH turn.
Any recommendations on how to teach those last two bars?
Thank you.
Lydia HedgeNova Scotia, Canada
mlamontbrown

mlamontbrown

May 21, 2019, 9:32 p.m. (Message 70711, in reply to message 70708)

You can find a great deal of discussion on the subject in the Strathspey Archives

The fact that it has arisen again just confirms my dislike of the
phrase "turn by the right"

Malcolm

Malcolm Brown
York (UK)