The Lost Chord (was Two Chords)

Jim Healy

March 21, 2006, 12:25 p.m. (Message 44806)

Greetings!

But surely, George, the daggers should be directed at the MC who should have
double checked that the band was aware of the need for a second chord? (And
if there is an encore, the MC should also announce whether it is to be done
from place with one chord - or not!)

Jim Healy
Perth and Monaco
George Meikle

George Meikle

March 21, 2006, 1:45 p.m. (Message 44807, in reply to message 44806)

Jim,

I have seen occasions when I have turned to everybody else in the band and
reminded them about 2 chords - and then carried on and played one! I think
something about old age comes to mind!

Regards
George

-----------

Jim Healy wrote:-
Phill Jones

Phill Jones

March 21, 2006, 2:51 p.m. (Message 44809, in reply to message 44806)

George,

I don't think that's an old age thing, us twenty-somethings do that too
:-)

Rgds,
Phill
Martin

Martin

March 21, 2006, 3:46 p.m. (Message 44812, in reply to message 44806)

simon scott

simon scott

March 21, 2006, 5:36 p.m. (Message 44819, in reply to message 44812)

From: "Jim Healy"
> ... MC who should have double checked that the band was aware of the
> need
> for a second chord?

If the MC has to announce this to all, then could he not just as easily
ask
those involved to change sides, and not bother the musicians with -- to
quote -- "unnatural second chords"?

Martin

This is by far the better way. Once the sets are counted the MC makes
sure everyone know where they should be to begin the dance. Then one
chord and an elegant start.
Simon
Vancouver
Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

March 21, 2006, 9:57 p.m. (Message 44822, in reply to message 44812)

Hi Martin,

> If the MC has to announce this to all, then could he not just as easily
ask
> those involved to change sides, and not bother the musicians with -- to
> quote -- "unnatural second chords"?

>From my experience as an MC, I'm lucky if 50% of the room is listening
(unless I'm recapping, in which case I may get up to 70%...).  At least the
second chord is a clear distinct reminder which everyone notices (even if
they're not ready for it).

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/
seonaid.gent

seonaid.gent

March 22, 2006, 12:14 a.m. (Message 44826, in reply to message 44806)

Jim,

  Nice idea, but in my experience very rare for MCs to check this with
  the band.  It's one of the hand signals that David's band are most
  familiar with from me.  That and the one for 'you're 8 bars out'
  :o)!

  Seonaid
  Markinch, Fife

Jim Healy <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
  Greetings!

But surely, George, the daggers should be directed at the MC who should have
double checked that the band was aware of the need for a second chord?

  Yahoo! Cars NEW - sell your car and browse thousands of new and used
  cars online search now