Chain Reaction; Chasing the Wild Goose

Malcolm and Helen Brown

April 27, 1998, 10:33 p.m. (Message 11827)

Having enjoyed other peoples dances published here, and from the
discussion on the future of publishing new dances, I have decided
to contribute one of my own.

It originated when someone said that the Bobby Crowe version of
Wild Geese, which  is a 5 x 32 jig, deserved its own dance.
So I wrote the following  - (when I first tried it out with
Helen in our rather small hall I was surprised to find that at
the end of 32 bars we were standing as far from each other as
space would permit; close investigation showed that it took
5 repeats to get us back together again!)

			Chasing the Wild Goose		32 Jig
	Music : Wild Geese - Bobby Crowe		5 Couple

 1 -  8	2s 4s advance setting to take RH with partner, balance in line,
	2s 4s 1/2 turn partner RH, balance in line;

 9 - 16	2s 4s "Inverted Teapots", LH wheel with couple on Left, pass L Sh,
	RH  wheel with other couple, pass L Sh to finish back to back,
	facing own side of dance.
	(2L 3 hands across with 1s, 2M 4L 4 hands across with 3s, and
	 4M 3 hands across with 5s - LH; pass L Sh
	 2M 3 hands across with 1s, 2L 4M 4 hands across with 3s, and
	 4L 3 hands across with 5s - RH; pass L Sh)

17 - 24	All set in double double triangles,
	2s 4s change places with RH person, (pas de basque)
	All set in double double triangles,
	Couples back to back change places with LH person -
	all finish out on own side facing in - polite turns where necessary
	(Non changing dancers continue setting)

25 - 32	Top 2 couples and bottom 2 couples - Rights and Lefts

	Finish Men : 2 4 1 5 3   Ladies : 3 1 5 2 4
	Repeat with new partners

Note:	Skip change may be used for LH change, bars 23-24

Malcolm

--
   _     _
  |_|_  |_| Malcolm & Helen Brown (York UK) - x.xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx (Tir-Nan-Og)

Anselm Lingnau

April 28, 1998, 10:59 a.m. (Message 11841, in reply to message 11827)

x.xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx (Malcolm Brown) writes:

> It originated when someone said that the Bobby Crowe version of
> Wild Geese, which  is a 5 x 32 jig, deserved its own dance.
> So I wrote the following [...]

At the risk of appearing a spoilsport, I'd like to mention that there is
of course Mel Briscoe's 5-couple version of the Wild Geese called A
Flock of Geese, which is printed in the Slipknot Collection. To add to
the confusion, there is also a dance by John Drewry called the Wild
Goose Chase (which AFAIR is quite unlike the other large-waterfowl
dances except for a bit of Wild Geese-style setting in the middle).

Anyway, yours looks like a nice dance. I must try it soon with our group.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau ......................... xxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxxxxx.xx
If you think things are bad now, just think about what it was like then ...

Ian McHaffie

April 28, 1998, 4:52 p.m. (Message 11843, in reply to message 11827)

Malcolm:

Many thanks for the Chasing the Wild Goose!

It arrived just as I was looking for something different for my class that
evening, so I decided that we should try it. I devised a dance a few years
ago in which I wanted everyone to change partners on each repetition. I
seem to recall working it out that you need an odd number of couples in the
set to accomp[lish it (I used a 3 x 32 Strathspey).

I wouldn't say that everyone mastered Chasing the Wild Goose, but it
provided lots of fun and has an ingenuity to it that is quite original!

Recommendation to others: give it a try -- it's great fun, easy to follow,
and refreshingly different!

Ian McHaffie
xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx
Ron.Mackey

Ron.Mackey

April 29, 1998, 2:29 a.m. (Message 11852, in reply to message 11827)

Hi, Malcolm & Helen,

> Note:	Skip change may be used for LH change, bars 23-24

I can see that is a case for Jack Spratt?
Cheers,  Ron   :)

 < 0   Ron Mackey,
  'O>  Mottingham,
  /#\  London. UK.
   l>
Ron.Mackey

Ron.Mackey

Nov. 22, 1998, 10:02 p.m. (Message 14718, in reply to message 11827)

> Having enjoyed other peoples dances published here, and from the
> discussion on the future of publishing new dances, I have decided
> to contribute one of my own.
>
> It originated when someone said that the Bobby Crowe version of
> Wild Geese, which  is a 5 x 32 jig, deserved its own dance.
> So I wrote the following  - (when I first tried it out with
> Helen in our rather small hall I was surprised to find that at
> the end of 32 bars we were standing as far from each other as
> space would permit; close investigation showed that it took
> 5 repeats to get us back together again!)
>

> 			Chasing the Wild Goose		32 Jig
> 	Music : Wild Geese - Bobby Crowe		5 Couple

Hello, you two nice people
Just got back from taking the classes at the Croydon Branch W/E.
The three best dances were Chasing......, Tae Fife and Back, and the
Indian River S'pey.   Had to encore Chasing..... and that was after
11.30 this morning after they were just about danced out!
Smashing.
Happy Dancing
Cheers  :)

Ron
Dianna Shipman

Dianna Shipman

Nov. 23, 1998, 2:47 a.m. (Message 14727, in reply to message 11827)

I did not find instructions to Chasing the Wild Goose on the email I
received - were they part of the message?  If not, where might I find them?
Thank you,
Dianna Shipman
RuddBaron

RuddBaron

Nov. 23, 1998, 2:53 a.m. (Message 14728, in reply to message 11827)

E-mail Major Bob Messner. xxx.xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx   He is MC of an upcoming
social that has Chasing the Wild Goose on it. I'm sure he would be more than
happy to e-mail you the instructions.

s/RBJ