Chris Collin

Re: sashes - traditionally and in practice

June 13, 2006, 8:30 p.m. (Message 45541, in reply to message 45531)

Eike Albert-Unt wrote:

>Hi, just a quick question.

With many, not so quick, answers!

>Is there a rule, how wide a sash should be and HOW it should be worn? Do
>demo groups always wear it in a similar way? There are many websites and
>among them I found this one:
>
>http://www.clangregor.org/history-tartan-women.html#Wearing%20the%20Sash
>
>- which seems to be very strict.

Well, you have to understand how society worked years ago.  People had a
civil "rank" - a man was not always (nor even usually) a gentleman, and
a woman was not the same thing as a lady.  The terms "lady" and
"gentleman" had a meaning that is now mostly lost.  A "normal" man would
be a yeoman, while his superior would be a gentleman, typically someone
of good education, and often, but not always, of some means as well.
Above these people would be those with more formal titles (the peers).

Nowadays, these distinctions between people have all but disappeared.
It is still seen in the UK, and some countries preserve titles, and
others heraldic bearings.  But, most democracies treat everyone as
equal, and these class distinctions of old no longer hold sway.

Thus, in earlier times, people would wear clothing appropriate to their
rank, as the website cited shows.  This extended to ladies as well, as
the chart shows.  But, how many even know how to recognize a clan chief,
let alone his wife?  (The answer - 3 feathers behind his badge, which is
also not encircled by a belt).

So, what do we do?  Well, if you wish to preserve the forms of old, you
would wear the sash on the right shoulder, unless you are a country
dancer, where you wear it on the left.  If you do not care about such
things, you could wear them any which way you wish, which seems to be
the advice of the majority.  Those, whom I suspect might wear feathers
in their bonnets, without realizing what they mean.

>Does this mean that it is bad manners for non-members (as of yet) to wear a
>sash on the left shoulder?

Some would say yes, others no.  It is much like those whom wear a tuxedo
to a wedding held in the morning.  There is no rule that says they
cannot, but custom suggests that it is inappropriate.  Customs suggests
wearing a sash in an appropriate manner as well, IMHO.  You can never be
faulted for wearing it correctly, and while most simply do not care,
there are those "anal-retentive" people out there (like ME!  :) who will
notice, even if they may say nothing.

Now, as for women wearing kilts....

;)

Chris Collin