Jim Healy

Re: Sons of the Rock

May 7, 2006, 7:49 a.m. (Message 45185, in reply to message 45184)

Greetings!

AFAIK, in Scotland, 'Sons of the Rock, always refers to those from
Dumbarton, where Dumbarton Rock towers over the town.

Jim Healy
Monaco and Perth

----Original Message Follows----
From: Sheena & Bill Flynn <x-x-xxxxx@xxxx.xx>
To: SCD news and discussion <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
Subject: Re: Sons of the Rock
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 19:05:03 -0700

Hi,

I do not have any details about this dance, but the title makes me wonder
about its origin.  At one time if one were born in Stirling, Scotland, one
could be described as a "Son of the Rock" or presumably a "Daughter of the
Rock."  The "rock" reference is to the massive rock upon which Stirling
Castle dominates the city and the Forth River valley.  "Son of the Rock"
isn't even a term that was used very much 50 years ago, and probably even
less nowadays.  Anyone know if this is the derivation of the name of this
dance or is it something else altogether?

Really appreciate "Minicrib" Charles, thank you.

Bill Flynn
Kamloops, B.C.
With wife Sheena, both Stirling born.