Rebecca Sager

Re: Incredible Dance escape this year ?(plus the tiniest "peep")

Sept. 27, 2001, 1:20 a.m. (Message 27540)

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:18:31 +0100 "Pia Walker" <xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
writes:

> or what about Ireland -

I grew up in England where Irish jokes are as prevalent as Polish jokes
in the Northern US, or as Alabama jokes in my adopted state of Georgia. I
never had much desire to go there.
But I had the opportunity to accompany my more affluent sister and her
husband on a driving tour of the South of Ireland, from September 11th
(which used to be famous for being my birthday) until the 18th.
What a lovely country! What hospitable people at all the B. and B.s.
Here comes the peep:
On Friday, September 14th, Ireland was closed in a day of mourning, and I
mean really closed. The gas stations were closed the shops were closed
the restaurants were closed and, horrors, the pubs were closed.
I was truly moved by this gesture and the concern expressed by everyone
when they learned that I and my retired firefighter friend (who was also
on the trip looking for his Irish roots) were Americans.
I'll never tell another Irish joke, and woe betide anyone who speaks
badly of these dear people in my presence.

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA