Dancing clubs and insurance in the UK

Ian Brown

Oct. 1, 2021, 3:39 p.m. (Message 72086)

The strathspey.org mailing system reaches people with expertise in many
areas.  I hope that I might reach someone who can help put into context
a potentially very serious problem to do with insurance and especially
trustee liability.

I have been advised that the insurance for a dance club, and not only a
dance club but other organisations too, ought to include trustee
liability. This follows a change in law some few years ago.  Such cover
is not generally offered but has been available if it was sought out.
Recently covid has led to it being much more difficult to find if not
impossible.  Insurance brokers have been quoted as saying “this is a
very small risk” and “no company is prepared to underwrite it”.  Two
statements I would have thought incompatible.

Just what insurance cover is prudent, can anyone advise, and what cover
do clubs in the UK carry?

--
Ian Brown
01423 567576

https://www.avg.com
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Oct. 1, 2021, 5:03 p.m. (Message 72087, in reply to message 72086)

I have forwarded your e-mail to the Traditional Dance Forum of
Scotland as we took out this kind of insurance not long ago.  They may
be able to assist.

I personally, as a teacher & caller, have a public liability insurance
- obtained through Musicians Insurance Services.

Historically branches obtained insurance through the RSCDS as far as I remember.

Pia
J Jones

J Jones

Oct. 1, 2021, 6:10 p.m. (Message 72088, in reply to message 72087)

Ian,
I was looking into the possibility of  both Trustee Liability and
public Liability insurance for the International Branch 3+ years ago
when I became Treasurer.
As IB does not run classes and everything except events is ‘virtual’
no insurers could understand what liability to the public there was to
insure. With RSCDS being a Scottish Charity and the IB Trustees living
all over the world no single legal jurisdiction covered us, so no
insurers could give me a quote
Jan

Sent from my iPhone
Ian Brown

Ian Brown

Oct. 1, 2021, 6:38 p.m. (Message 72089, in reply to message 72087)

On 01/10/2021 14:03, Pia Walker wrote:
> I have forwarded your e-mail to the Traditional Dance Forum of
Scotland as we took out this kind of insurance not long ago.  They may
be able to assist.

> I personally, as a teacher & caller, have a public liability
insurance - obtained through Musicians Insurance Services.

> Historically branches obtained insurance through the RSCDS as far as I remember.
>
> Pia

I am grateful for your response Pia and I should be interested in the
response of the Traditional Dance Form.  I should say that the
legislation that lies at the back of this problem I assume to be UK
legislation but perhaps may be England only, I don't know.

In fact I don't understand the idea of Trustee insurance and nor do
those I have asked.

I am aware of Edinburgh Risk Management who provide insurance to many
SCD clubs and, I believe, branches.  In fact I dance with a club insured
with them but I understand they cannot offer this cover.

I should love to believe that this is a storm in a teacup - move along -
nothing to see.  Unfortunately I don't think that likely. Perhaps if
this web site is monitored by ERM or even the RSCDS they might care to
provide some insight.

The advice that we have been given, to obtain this cover, is emphatic
and apparently well sourced although not formal.

--
Ian Brown
01423 567576

https://www.avg.com
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Oct. 1, 2021, 6:52 p.m. (Message 72090, in reply to message 72089)

I assume (i.e don't know 😊) that trustee insurance is so Board members
are protected if an association / organisation is sued as a whole
entity.

pia
Fran Smith

Fran Smith

Oct. 2, 2021, 5:42 p.m. (Message 72091, in reply to message 72086)

I've just been looking through the RSCDS accounts sent out to
Branchesahead of the AGM in November. I see that the expenditure
listed includesTrustee Indemnity Insurance. It is therefore possible
that there is someoneat or connected to Headquarters who can
clarify/advise.
Fran Smith (South wales)