DIY 'Extra' Pilling Diagrams.

  • ...

    Steve Johnson Aug. 7, 2008, 11:07 p.m. (Message 53341)

    Here in London, some of the members of the groups I dance with run an
    informal swap group (by e-mail) for  'Pillling' diagrams for extra dances
    that aren't in Pilling 8th Ed.

    The more ambitious of us use tools like MS Visio or CAD to draw the dances
    out, and the results look very like those in the little green book.  (The
    less ambitious draw them by hand and trade photocopies).

    This got me thinking.  There doesn't seem to be a web site for the Pilling
    book/committee anywhere.  Does anyone know if there are any collections of
    'extra' Pilling-style diagrams on the web?  Would a web-site with Pilling
    'extras' be helpful to others?

    Finally, is there any known process for extras to get suggested to the
    Pilling committee for possible inclusion in the Pilling 9th Ed (whenever
    that might be).

    Best regards
    --
    Steve Johnson
    xx@xxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xx

    Andrew C Aitchison Aug. 8, 2008, 7:36 a.m. (Message 53342, in reply to message 53341)

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Steve Johnson wrote:

    > Here in London, some of the members of the groups I dance with run an
    > informal swap group (by e-mail) for  'Pillling' diagrams for extra dances
    > that aren't in Pilling 8th Ed.

    > This got me thinking.  There doesn't seem to be a web site for the Pilling
    > book/committee anywhere.  Does anyone know if there are any collections of
    > 'extra' Pilling-style diagrams on the web?  Would a web-site with Pilling
    > 'extras' be helpful to others?

    The Strathspey archives
     	http://www.strathspey.org/list/strathspey/archive/msg/21853/
    suggest that there was a time when Pilling's Successors
    weren't too friendly towards anyone else using his symbols.
    Does anyone know if this has changed since 2000 ?

    --
    Andrew Aitchison				Cambridge, UK