dances for 3 cpl sets? Was Re: favourite books

  • ...

    Monica Pollard June 2, 2008, 5:12 a.m. (Message 52580)

    I know we've talked about this before, but I can't find it.

    I'm organizing a demo for July with only three dancing couples.  I'd
    like to do Lord MacDonald of the Isles (Str), and a quick-time dance
    for a 3-cpl set.

    Any suggestions for a demo dance that isn't super-difficult, but yet
    fun to watch and dance, for three couples?

    Monica
    --
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a
    horrible warning."

    Pia Walker June 2, 2008, 9:45 a.m. (Message 52584, in reply to message 52580)

    Red house

    pia
  • ...

    elissa h June 2, 2008, 11:47 a.m. (Message 52585, in reply to message 52580)

    On of my favorites is Whistler's Jig.  It has solo rights and lefts
    and a poussette at the end.

    Elissa Hock
    Akron, OH
  • ...

    Monica Pollard June 2, 2008, 4:37 p.m. (Message 52588, in reply to message 52585)

    Thank-you all for your suggestions.  I confess to being somewhat
    brain-dead wrt dances these past few weeks, as our group has been
    searching for a new class location since May 24th.  The good news is,
    we start in the new hall this evening!

    So choosing dances for this demo has not been at the top of my mind.

    Monica

    --
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a
    horrible warning."
    Catherine Aird
  • ...

    Wendy Grubb June 2, 2008, 4:51 p.m. (Message 52589, in reply to message 52580)

    My group enjoys Flight of the Falcon.  We use the 3
    repetition jig music from the Grandfather Mountain CD
    recording of Bobby Brown.
    Wendy Grubb
    New Orleans, Louisiana

    --- Monica Pollard <xxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx> wrote:

    > I know we've talked about this before, but I can't
    > find it.
    >
    > I'm organizing a demo for July with only three
    > dancing couples.  I'd
    > like to do Lord MacDonald of the Isles (Str), and a
    > quick-time dance
    > for a 3-cpl set.
    >
    > Any suggestions for a demo dance that isn't
    > super-difficult, but yet
    > fun to watch and dance, for three couples?
    >
    > Monica
    > --
    > "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just
    > have to be a
    > horrible warning."
    > Catherine Aird

  • ...

    Bruce Herbold June 2, 2008, 4:54 p.m. (Message 52590, in reply to message 52589)

    All the (old) recordings for Bonnie Anne are other good sources for
    3x32 Jig sets.  Does anybody still do Bonnie Anne?

    Bruce Herbold
    San Francisco
  • ...

    James Mungall June 2, 2008, 5:28 p.m. (Message 52591, in reply to message 52590)

    We used the tune to death in Baton Rouge because we only had three
    couples for quite sometime.&nbsp; But we never did learn the dance
    Bonnie Anne.
    &nbsp;
    As for three couple dances, the list IS huge!&nbsp; I recommend one
    that the first couple doesn't immediately interact with the second
    couple because you'll have third couple stepping up and firsts casting
    after the first repetition.&nbsp; So things like Reel of the Royal
    Scots and Maxwell's Rant can be troublesome (but certainly not
    impossible) with only three couples.&nbsp; I'll second Wendy's
    suggestion of Flight of the Falcon.
    &nbsp;
    James Mungall

    From: xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx <xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx>
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Date: Monday, June 2, 2008, 12:17 PM

    Tom Mungall wrote:

[...]

    Steve Wyrick June 2, 2008, 7:34 p.m. (Message 52600, in reply to message 52597)

    Indian River Strathspey is one we've done, although visually it might
    be too similar to WOLF to work in a medley.  Don't know where/if it's
    published though. (It's in Dance Data, but without a source.) -Steve
  • ...

    Anne Marshall June 2, 2008, 7:28 p.m. (Message 52598, in reply to message 52596)

    How about Giants of Foudland - three couple triangular set, and
    Schehallion Reels.  We love it.
    I think we dance it to Sounds of Harris, but I'd have to check that to
    be sure.
    Anne
  • ...

    ron.mackey June 3, 2008, 4:01 a.m. (Message 52627, in reply to message 52598)

  • ...

    Steve Wyrick June 2, 2008, 7:29 p.m. (Message 52599, in reply to message 52596)

    We've used a medley of Wind on Loch Fyne with Ron Wallace's (or Gary
    Thomas, I forget) Muse Cottage--a 40-bar reel for 3 couples in a
    triangular formation from the "From the Redwoods" collection.  Works
    nicely, although finding a tune medley that would work could be
    tricky--we generally edit our own though.  We've also used the dance
    in medleys with dances in standard formation--transforming the sets,
    or moving the head around, can be quite interesting visually.  -Steve
  • ...

    Susan McKinnell June 3, 2008, 3:01 a.m. (Message 52625, in reply to message 52580)

    I like Drewry's Wooden Horse from the Turkish Set book.  Sue (Chicago,
    IL USA)

    --
    Susan McKinnell        xxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx         http://suedan.com

    "A house without a cat, and a well-fed, well-petted, and properly
    revered cat, may be a perfect house, perhaps, but how can it prove
    its title?"
    - Mark Twain, The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson
  • ...

    3_brandywine@tiscali.co.uk June 3, 2008, 11:12 p.m. (Message 52663, in reply to message 52580)

    Sorry to be late in responding, but you could try a nice 3 couple jig -
    Muirland Willie - which is in the back of a little book - The Foursome
    Reel and other dances - by John A.Brune, published in 1955.  I have
    always thought that it was spoilt by the Society making it fit a four
    couple set when they published it some years later.  As it was it has
    lots of movement, and works very well.

    Ian McDonald
  • ...

    Steve Wyrick June 3, 2008, 11:28 p.m. (Message 52665, in reply to message 52663)

    This also reminds me that I meant to say that in our experience with
    demonstrations, the music you use is often at least as important to
    non-dancing spectators as the dances you do, particularly at Scottish
    games, e.g.,  where you don't have a captive audience and are
    competing with pipes, heavy athletics, reenactors and whatever for
    their attention.  A good rousing recording (assuming you don't use
    musicians) will help pull people in and keep them interested. -Steve