favourite books

  • ...

    WENDY LOBERG June 1, 2008, 10:43 p.m. (Message 52572)

    Hello,

    I am going to order some books from Tac.  I really helped when some listed
    their favourite CD's.  Could we do the same with books.  Any suggestions
    would be appreciated.

    Thanks,  Wendy
  • ...

    Monica Pollard June 2, 2008, 12:14 a.m. (Message 52574, in reply to message 52572)

    Some of these you may already have, but I'll list my favs anyway, in
    no particular order;

    'Briefs for 100 Favorite Dances & 63 More' by the Madison, WI, group.
    I'm frequently glad I have it with me. :)
    The Collins SCD book
    the Pillings book
    The Canadian Book, by John Drewry.  (incl. Atholl Brose, Bees of
    Maggieknockater, Hamilton's Strathspey, Haunt of the Gnomes, The St.
    Nicholas Boat, etc.)
    the two MacNab books

    There are certainly more wonderful books out there, but these have
    been very helpful for me.

    Monica

    --
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a
    horrible warning."

    Peter Price June 2, 2008, 1:06 a.m. (Message 52575, in reply to message 52574)

    Terry Glasspool's 2 books - 7 Year Itch and An Itch to Dance have many
    wonderful dances in them.

    I have also found the Santa Fe group's book - Always Enough to Dance to be
    indispensable since I often have 4 and 5 dancers waiting for  the next 2 to
    show up.

    Peter Price
  • ...

    WENDY LOBERG June 2, 2008, 1:31 a.m. (Message 52577, in reply to message 52575)

    I have An Itch to Dance and went looking for 7 Year Itch but Tacbooks does
    not have it.

    Ummm,

    Wendy
  • ...

    Mike Briggs June 2, 2008, 5:29 a.m. (Message 52581, in reply to message 52574)

    Monica, as one of the editors of "100+63,"  I'm really touched that you
    like our little book.

    And now for the shameless commercial message:

    The Madison group (now the John Muir (Wisconsin) Branch) has a few
    copies of the book left.  For details, see:

        http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/mscd/hundredsixtythree.htm

    When we've sold all that we have left, we'll start work on a new
    edition.  Your suggestions for dances to add and subtract are welcome.

    Mike

    --
       BRIGGS LAW OFFICE
    Michael and Norma Briggs

    Rebecca Sager June 2, 2008, 2:15 a.m. (Message 52578, in reply to message 52572)

    Try getting it directly from Terry Glasspool:
    http://home.stny.rr.com/glasshall/dances.html

    Becky

    Becky Sager
    Marietta GA USA

    -- "WENDY LOBERG" <xxxxx.xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xx> wrote:
    I have An Itch to Dance and went looking for 7 Year Itch but Tacbooks does
    not have it.

    Ummm,

    Wendy
  • ...

    Bruce Herbold June 2, 2008, 5:53 a.m. (Message 52582, in reply to message 52572)

    A few favorites

    Bob Campbell's Glasgow Assembly
    Drewry's Brodie, Silver Tassie, and Rondel collections (in adition to Canadian)
    Dunsmuir Collection
    Cosh's 22 dances
    Goldring starting with the graded and social books, but you can't go wrong
    Ladies of Dunse, but the tip of the iceberg of good recent collections
    - Vancouver, Hamilton, and on and on - an embarrassment of riches
    and with a final self-serving suggestion I'd include the SF class's
    new Measures of Pleasure -- which includes some lovely new Tim Wilson
    dances

    Bruce Herbold
    San Francisco