Dolphin reels revisited

Peter Price

June 27, 2006, 6:49 p.m. (Message 45675)

My apologies to all, and I will try to clarify my position.

In "Dancing Dolphins" Barry Skelton's directions are very specific.

- 1st couple are side by side at the start and stay parallel with the
set throughout the reel-

therefore NOT tandem reels but something very different with a very
pronounced and different feel in the dancing.  My error in not
checking every dance to see if the reels were identical but I was
focused on the particular dance.

I find that this is the only dance in the book where Barry specifies
that parallelism. One possible interpretation then is that "Dancing
Dolphins" is a special case and that in all other dances the reels are
to be tandem reels- that is one dancer following the other except for
the lead changes.

I have no problem with calling a tandem reel a tandem reel (and in
"Pelorus Jack" the reels are tandem). My problem was with teachers
calling the reels in "Dancing Dolphins" tandem reels and having the
dancers then dance the reels as tandem reels.

There are several dances in which Barry Skelton sets up 1C, one behind
the other, for tandem reels (The Sailor's Guide, An Ocean Frolic,
Crossing the Line and Opo). There are also several dances (The Playful
Porpoise, Over the Waves and Orca) where he sets up 1C side by side at
the entry into the reels but doesn't specify 1C staying parallel but
where, in my opinion, the dances would lend themselves to side by side
reeling a la "Dancing Dolphins" even though it is not specified.

Peter Price
xxxxx.xxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
James Tween

James Tween

June 27, 2006, 8:19 p.m. (Message 45677, in reply to message 45675)

So what are the reels called when it's purely follow-the-leader, no
changing?  That set up sounds more like what one might call tandem, but
that's just me.

I'd always assumed that dolphin reels were called that because of Pelorus
Jack and the dolphin connection there, or is that wrong?  What are they
called in Flight of the Falcon?

- James -
simon scott

simon scott

June 27, 2006, 8:39 p.m. (Message 45679, in reply to message 45677)

So what are the reels called when it's purely follow-the-leader, no
changing?  That set up sounds more like what one might call tandem, but
that's just me.

I'd always assumed that dolphin reels were called that because of Pelorus
Jack and the dolphin connection there, or is that wrong?  What are they
called in Flight of the Falcon?

- James -

I have always thought the same as James.

"Reels of three" have different types: parallel, mirror, cross-over, right,
left, full, half, tandem, etc.

"Tandem reels" could then have dolphin and maybe other sub-types.

Simon
Vancouver
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

June 27, 2006, 9:12 p.m. (Message 45680, in reply to message 45679)

Pillion reels :>)  - on a bicycle built for two - which is a ??????

Pia
Fife
James Tween

James Tween

June 28, 2006, 6:37 p.m. (Message 45690, in reply to message 45680)

But there's no kind of bike where the back becomes the front every couple of
bars, is there?
If I heard someone say "reels of three in tandem" or something, I'd go for
the follow-the-leader option.  How does "dolphin" even suggest swapping
over?
I guess technically, the dancing couple are each doing parallel reels of
three on the same diagonal -- if the man begins in front, his reel is a
couple of steps longer at the end where he becomes the back, and a couple of
steps shorter when he becomes the front, and the lady's reel is similar but
at opposite ends.  However, "1C dance a reel of three in parallel on the
same axis" or something is stupidly daft.
Fun, fun, fun!

- James -
Preston, UK
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

June 28, 2006, 6:53 p.m. (Message 45691, in reply to message 45690)

Well think of it as someone out driving - the man is leading - and gets
lost - so the women will have to navigate and then show how it is done -
half way through the man thinks he has got it - and takes over again - and
the same things happen - the woman has to save the day :>)  they all go
round the roundabout and ends up almost where they started.

Pia
Thomas G. Mungall, III

Thomas G. Mungall, III

June 28, 2006, 7:13 p.m. (Message 45692, in reply to message 45691)

Pia,

This has to be the funniest explanation of a dolphin reel ever! What a hoot!

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Carl Spain

Carl Spain

June 29, 2006, 12:29 a.m. (Message 45693, in reply to message 45690)

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 17:37 +0100, James Tween wrote:
> But there's no kind of bike where the back becomes the front every couple of
> bars, is there?

Not every few bars, and not by design, but there is such a bike.  We
rented it on a recent vacation and I'm still nursing a sprained arm.

Carl Spain
Waco TX USA
Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

June 27, 2006, 11:26 p.m. (Message 45682, in reply to message 45677)

James Tween <xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx> wrote:  I'd always assumed that
dolphin reels were called that because of Pelorus Jack and the dolphin
connection there, or is that wrong? What are they called in Flight of
the Falcon?

  The 'swap over' reels in "The Flight Of The Falcon" were not named
  by Barry Priddey - probably because this dance was the first dance
  to ever include this type of reel and Barry did not see the need to
  give them specific names!

  Regards,

  Iain Boyd

Lee Fuell

Lee Fuell

June 27, 2006, 8:38 p.m. (Message 45678, in reply to message 45675)

In Flight of the Falcon, I've heard them referred to as falcon reels.
Yet more potential for confusion, eh?

Lee Fuell

Beavercreek, OH, USA
Arlington, VA, USA
Timothy Wilson

Timothy Wilson

June 28, 2006, 1:38 a.m. (Message 45684, in reply to message 45675)

In my experience dancing in the San Francisco Branch, I have heard the reels
in the Dolphin Book most often referred to as "alternating tandem reels" or
"dolphin reels" during talk-throughs and teaching. Occasionally I have heard
the other term that Ron mentioned of "tandem reels in which the lead changes
or alternates." Some local teachers use "tandem reel" to describe the
follow-the-leader reel though I think I have heard "shadow reel" (as Lara
noted) more frequently used--perhaps to avoid confusion.

I have learned, and danced, The Dancing Dolphins but do not recall a special
emphasis on the 1st couple dancing in a parallel alignment relative to the
set. Obviously I should take another look at that dance. Thanks for your
careful reading Peter.

I have to laugh though. We've got "falcon" reels and "dolphin" reels which
must mean that most of our reels are neither fish nor fowl. (And, yes, I
_am_ aware that a dolphin is not a fish). Perhaps we can add "haring
reels"--for when at least one dancer goes off on their own--or better yet
"red herring reels" when one dancer follows a cue that sends him or her in
the wrong direction.

Cheers,
Tim Wilson
San Francisco, CA
Peter McClure

Peter McClure

June 28, 2006, 3:28 a.m. (Message 45685, in reply to message 45675)

>In Flight of the Falcon, I've heard them referred to as falcon
>reels.  Yet more potential for confusion, eh?
>
>Lee Fuell
>
>Beavercreek, OH, USA
>Arlington, VA, USA

And let's not overlook Duncan Keppie's "hand-in-hand" reels, which
seem to me to be a part of this whole stramash.

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

June 28, 2006, 8:29 a.m. (Message 45686, in reply to message 45675)

Just to muddy things up a bit...

Is anyone familiar with Duncan Keppie's Reels "Hand-in-hand"?

These seem to me to be what "Dolphin" Reels (as described by Peter) are
- with the difference that the couple take nearer hands where possible
(and are not always strictly in a line across the set).

I believe Duncan brought this in in his Book 8 which came out in 1998

Alan
Berne, Switzerland
Lydia Hedge

Lydia Hedge

June 28, 2006, 10:37 a.m. (Message 45687, in reply to message 45686)

> Is anyone familiar with Duncan Keppie's Reels "Hand-in-hand"?
I have written to Duncan to see whether he will reply directly to this query.

Lydia
Nova Scotia
James Tween

James Tween

June 29, 2006, 9:58 p.m. (Message 45698, in reply to message 45675)

This came to me direct rather than to the list, but it's another part
of this discussion, so ...
Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

June 29, 2006, 10:33 p.m. (Message 45699, in reply to message 45698)

Dick Daniel wrote:

> This is all another prime example of the product of our
> highly paid professionals at RSCDS HQ in Edinburgh applying
> their superior intellects.

Er, sorry, what highly paid professionals?  As far as I'm
aware, apart from the office staff who do administration
and sales, everyone's a volunteer.  If you don't like what's
being decided, get yourself elected onto one of the committees.

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/
Peter Price

Peter Price

June 30, 2006, 11:38 p.m. (Message 45703, in reply to message 45675)

I am finally getting a sense of the issue.

Headquarters has set a definition (of the reels in Pelorus Jack) in
concrete and there is disagreement.

My take on the matter is this-
per my dictionary the reels in Pelorus Jack can be classified as
Tandem reels- with the variation of lead change. That is what is so
and therefore I have no problem teaching those reels as "tandem reels
with lead changes" per the new manual (which I haven't seen).

I have not seen Barry Priddey's dance "Flying Falcon" either, but from
the tenor of the thread they would be the same as those found in The
Capercaillie and Land of the Heather Hills (The Capercaillie Book). I
would teach these as Tandem reels with lead change also.

Headquarter's definition of the reels preempts any issue of who
invented the reel first, and the question of "is it really a Flying
Falcon reel or a Dolphin Reel" is moot.

However one question has not been answered. In The Dolphin Book, Barry
Skelton has two different kinds of reels. First there are those that
qualify as "tandem reels with lead change" as in Pelorus Jack. in
these dances he carefully sets up the reels by specifying that one
dancer falls in closely behind the other- i.e. in tandem.

There is a dance where he is very specific in having first couple
finish side by side and that the couple keeps parallel with the axis
of the set throughout the reel ( i.e. Dancing Dolphins). These are NOT
tandem reels - 1M and 1W are dancing on two distinctly separate tracks
that cross each other in four places (on each side of the loops). So,
what do we call THIS reel - if anything?

And now the real fun begins-
there are several dances where BS is not specific. Where he says
something like  "first couple finish in the middle facing up" and we
do not know if that is side by side or with one behind the other.

Take a look at #2 -The Playful Porpoise
To my eye the reels here can be danced either as "tandem reels with
lead change" or as the reels in Dancing Dolphins are danced. Both
interpretations are possible and reasonable.

The difference between the two kinds of reels is at the crossing point
when moving between the two loops- in a tandem reel the dancers cross
in sequence (one after the other) while in the parallel reel the
dancers are crossing at the same time, side by side.

Comments anyone?
James Tween

James Tween

July 1, 2006, 12:02 a.m. (Message 45704, in reply to message 45703)

I've only read Dancing Dolphins in Minicrib, but why aren't the reels of
three in bars 9-24 like the reels in Pelorus Jack?  I know the PJ reels are
diagonal and only half reels, and they begin with the man leading, but the
DD reels appear to have essentially the same type of movement as PJ reels --
DD seems to have reels of three (on the sides) with 1C dancing as one unit,
changing the leader at each end.  As I say, I've only got a secondary
source, but it just looks to me like PJ-type reels but done on the sides
rather than the diagonal, and full reels rather than halves.

- James -
Preston, UK
Peter Price

Peter Price

July 1, 2006, 1:02 a.m. (Message 45705, in reply to message 45704)

The difference is based on the specific directions in the 3rd footnote
and the last line of the directions to bars 1-8.

quote:
1-8     first couple, cross with the right hand and cast off one place.
          (Second couple step up on bars 3 & 4.) First couple turn each
          other with the left hand 1-1/4 times. First couple finish facing the
          lady's side, the man has his partner on his right.***
end quote

quote
***Note: First couple should begin the reel parallel with the side of the
set AND REMAIN PARALLEL  with the set throughout the reel. This will
require good covering. First couple must be aware of their partner
especially on the turns. First couple cover with each other NOT JUST
FOLLOW each other. Where the instructions say follow also read cover.
End quote
(my emphasis added)

The important points-
-first couple finish side by side (bar 8)
-the COUPLE stays parallel with the side of the set (axis of the reel)
therefore they are not in tandem but are dancing their own individual
tracks.
-whenever the couple crosses the axis of the reel (at the ends AND in
the middle) they are side by side i.e. not in tandem.

See my opening email that restarted the dolphin reel "thing" for a
fuller breakdown.

Peter Price
New Haven, CT
USA