dance notes

Ian Brockbank

March 21, 2006, 1:45 p.m. (Message 44808)

Hi All,

I've just received this offer.  Anyone interested?

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/
Loretta Holz

Loretta Holz

March 21, 2006, 3:47 p.m. (Message 44811, in reply to message 44808)

Ian wrote
>I've just received this offer.  Anyone interested?
I'm interested.

Marian--
I will be glad to pay the postage.  I have just become the leader of our
local SCD group and am always looking for new and interesting dances to
present.

Loretta Holz
4 Christy Drive
Warren, NJ 07059
USA
Victor Jason Raymond

Victor Jason Raymond

March 21, 2006, 3:49 p.m. (Message 44813, in reply to message 44808)

Dear Ian,

If nobody else has yet claimed them, I'd be happy to get them!

Victor Raymond
602 Clark Ave. #1
Ames, IA 50010

At 06:45 AM 3/21/2006, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I've just received this offer.  Anyone interested?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ian Brockbank
>Edinburgh, Scotland
>xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
>http://www.scottishdance.net/

Victor J Raymond
vraymond "at"  iastate.edu
Martin

Martin

March 21, 2006, 3:50 p.m. (Message 44814, in reply to message 44808)

simon scott

simon scott

March 21, 2006, 5:17 p.m. (Message 44817, in reply to message 44808)

That is a very generous offer.  Rather than going to one person could
they be copied onto sheets and be available to many.
Simon
Vancouver

Hi All,

I've just received this offer.  Anyone interested?

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/
John Chambers

John Chambers

March 24, 2006, 5:09 a.m. (Message 44864, in reply to message 44808)

| That is a very generous offer.  Rather than going to one person could
| they be copied onto sheets and be available to many.
| Simon
| Vancouver

There is a growing practice of scanning pages of  documents
and putting them on a web site, where interested people are
invited to transcribe them  into  a  form  more  usable  by
computers.   The  Gutenberg project has done this with some
rare old books, for example.  There are any number of  such
projects that you can get involved with.

The most unusual case that I know of: The  big  archaeology
news  in  Central  America  has been the deciphering of the
classical Mayan writing.  There are thousands of  "stelae",
carved  stone  columns  covered  with writing, all over the
area. They are mostly historical markers. People are taking
digital photos of them, putting them online, and asking any
interested people to help transcribe them.  The result will
be an extensive history of the area from before the Spanish
arrived, burned all the libraries, and  killed  anyone  who
could read and write.  You have to learn the Mayan language
to help out in this effort, of course.

--
   _,
   O   John Chambers