Cribs (RSCDS Elitism)

Doug Mills

Oct. 5, 2001, 2:59 a.m. (Message 27752)

Donna Robinson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a newbie to SCD, it has taken vast amounts of determination and fortitude
> to overcome the RSCDS's elitist (sorry guys) attitude w.r.t. cribs and/or
> briefings.

Donna

I can't agree that the RSCDS is elitist when it comes to briefings.

Part of both the Preliminary Certificate and the Teachers Certificate Test is the
ability to brief a dance clearly and correctly.  From this I would say that the
Society is actually wanting to encourage good dance briefing.

I don't know if the RSCDS has a position on cribs, but my objection to them is
not how they are written, but that they give dancers something onto which they
can write their dance partners, thus booking a full nights dancing within the
first 10 minutes.  This leaves people like me who refuse to do this spending the
night trying to find a like minded partner who isn't already "booked up".

I don't think there is a solution to this problem, as it can be quite nice to
have cribs (or an individual programme) at a dance, but it certainly leads to an
air of anti-sociability  for me.

Cheers

Doug Mills
Christchurch NZ