Incredible Dance escape this year ?(plus the tiniest "peep")

Rebecca Sager

Rebecca Sager

Sept. 27, 2001, 1:20 a.m. (Message 27540)

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:18:31 +0100 "Pia Walker" <xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
writes:

> or what about Ireland -

I grew up in England where Irish jokes are as prevalent as Polish jokes
in the Northern US, or as Alabama jokes in my adopted state of Georgia. I
never had much desire to go there.
But I had the opportunity to accompany my more affluent sister and her
husband on a driving tour of the South of Ireland, from September 11th
(which used to be famous for being my birthday) until the 18th.
What a lovely country! What hospitable people at all the B. and B.s.
Here comes the peep:
On Friday, September 14th, Ireland was closed in a day of mourning, and I
mean really closed. The gas stations were closed the shops were closed
the restaurants were closed and, horrors, the pubs were closed.
I was truly moved by this gesture and the concern expressed by everyone
when they learned that I and my retired firefighter friend (who was also
on the trip looking for his Irish roots) were Americans.
I'll never tell another Irish joke, and woe betide anyone who speaks
badly of these dear people in my presence.

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Sept. 27, 2001, 10:17 a.m. (Message 27548, in reply to message 27540)

Hi Becky

I lived in Ireland for 4 years.

Pia
ron.mackey

ron.mackey

Sept. 28, 2001, 12:08 a.m. (Message 27569, in reply to message 27548)

> Hi Becky
>
> I lived in Ireland for 4 years.
>
> Pia

	AHH...... does this give us a clue???  :))  (^duck^)
		The person of my acquaintance who tells the most and funniest Irish
jokes is a fellow golfer called Jim Collins and he hails from Co.
Tipp !!

Cheers,  Ron   :)

 < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
  'O>  Mottingham,
  /#\  London. UK.
   l>
xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Sept. 28, 2001, 10:57 a.m. (Message 27579, in reply to message 27569)

Thank you Ron

I loved it there - yes people could laugh at themselves - and it was
incredible lovely to live there - People cared - I went back to Maynooth in
Co Kildare, last year after 14 years away - went into the post-office, up to
the counter, where this man was sitting (my age) - and he said "Thought it
was you when you walked in" - Had I been away?  it did not seem like it.

To keep to the scottish thread - we did a Burns night at my hubbys work -
and could not get Haggis imported - we did get one in as a biological
specimen (hubby being a biotechnologist) - but I had to make the rest -
arrived at the university cantine with all the necessary bits of sheep -
muslin bag instead of stomach - and asked "where's the mincer?"  Chef looks
at me and says "we haven't got one - here's a knife" - chopped up the
innards of what to me seemed like several dead sheep - with a knife - for 70
people.  plus made the oat-cakes and danced the night away.

It was great.

Pia