  • Anselm Lingnau

    Anselm Lingnau July 9, 2011, 2:19 a.m. (Message 61079)

    Re: Tandem Reels (was Re: Reels in Bishop of Columbus)

    Rod Downey wrote:

    > It is unfortunate that because of
    > the penetration of the RSCDS books compared to privately published ones
    > formations often become attributed to the first RSCDS source rather than
    > the original place someone published.

    commemorate the 10th anniversary, in 1992, of the RSCDS Sutton Coldfield
    branch. The late Barry Priddey was probably more timely about publishing his
    anniversary books than yours truly, so it is reasonable to assume that the
    book actually came out at around that time.

    »Pelorus Jack«, before the RSCDS picked it up for Book 41 in 2000, appeared in
    Barry Skelton's »Dolphin Book«, which is dated 1994 (along with a whole bunch
    of other dances featuring the same style of reel). With private publication of
    dance books being as Rod describes, and with Barry Priddey being based in the
    UK and Barry Skelton in New Zealand, it is not at all unlikely that we have a
    case of »parallel invention« here, especially as it is impossible to say after
    the fact exactly when the two Barrys came up with the actual dances, as
    opposed to publishing the books. So, at least from the accessible evidence, I
    personally would be hesitant about making statements like »These so-called

    Which is not to say that maybe it wasn't one of the Society's brightest ideas
    to call the formation a »tandem reel« in the Manual. It is probably sensible
    to stay away from cutesy formation names involving animals (much like we're
    told to stay away from cutesy formation names involving kitchen utensils
    except for porridge stirrers), but I would defy anyone riding a two-seater
    bicycle to change places twice while going around a tight figure-of-eight
    curve.

    Anselm
    --
    Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.                -- William Shakespeare