Anselm Lingnau

Re: Tandem Reels (was Re: Reels in Bishop of Columbus)

July 9, 2011, 2:19 a.m. (Message 61079, in reply to message 61078)

Rod Downey wrote:

> It is unfortunate that because of
> the penetration of the RSCDS books compared to privately published ones
> formations often become attributed to the first RSCDS source rather than
> the original place someone published.

commemorate the 10th anniversary, in 1992, of the RSCDS Sutton Coldfield
branch. The late Barry Priddey was probably more timely about publishing his
anniversary books than yours truly, so it is reasonable to assume that the
book actually came out at around that time.

»Pelorus Jack«, before the RSCDS picked it up for Book 41 in 2000, appeared in
Barry Skelton's »Dolphin Book«, which is dated 1994 (along with a whole bunch
of other dances featuring the same style of reel). With private publication of
dance books being as Rod describes, and with Barry Priddey being based in the
UK and Barry Skelton in New Zealand, it is not at all unlikely that we have a
case of »parallel invention« here, especially as it is impossible to say after
the fact exactly when the two Barrys came up with the actual dances, as
opposed to publishing the books. So, at least from the accessible evidence, I
personally would be hesitant about making statements like »These so-called

Which is not to say that maybe it wasn't one of the Society's brightest ideas
to call the formation a »tandem reel« in the Manual. It is probably sensible
to stay away from cutesy formation names involving animals (much like we're
told to stay away from cutesy formation names involving kitchen utensils
except for porridge stirrers), but I would defy anyone riding a two-seater
bicycle to change places twice while going around a tight figure-of-eight
curve.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.                -- William Shakespeare