campbell

RE: New threads please... (was: Re: Frequent dance list)

Aug. 8, 2008, 11:52 a.m. (Message 53345, in reply to message 53344)

Cord Walter wrote:
>Campbell Tyler schrieb:
> I have just hit the 200 programme mark, so time to publish an update.
>Maybe I am a bit picky here, but I would appreciate that if someone
>starts a new topic he/she also starts a new thread instead of reusing an
>old thread [1] and just change the subject?
>I made a screenshot to illustrate the point:
>http://home.snafu.de/cord.walter/misc/new-thread.jpg
>Just makes reading/organising the posts easier...

As the guilty party in this instance, all I can say is sorry but it is in
total ignorance that I do that.  When the email leaves me, it has a totally
new subject line with no reference to any earlier one, and I reply to an
existing old email to ensure I get the address line right, avoiding typing
errors.   Also when I get replies to my "new" thread they only reflect my
subject line, so I am not quite sure where this extra earlier subject topic
comes from and where you see it.

It does raise a general point in my mind.  I would very much like Anselm to
provide a potted "Using Strathspey List 101" tutorial to cover points like
this (my favourite hobby horse is getting people to sign their emails in
full and where they are located - does that strike a Cord, Walter?? :-),
another being people contributing without indicating which email they are
answering).  So, for instance, why do the people who have been on Strathspey
longer than me, when changing threads always say "was....." and for how long
should that stay?  And when should a thread be changed?  In other words, the
general etiquette that governs using Strathspey.  Or does it already exist?

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town