  • Timothy Wilson

    Timothy Wilson June 28, 2006, 1:38 a.m. (Message 45684)

    Re: Dolphin reels revisited

    In my experience dancing in the San Francisco Branch, I have heard the reels
    in the Dolphin Book most often referred to as "alternating tandem reels" or
    "dolphin reels" during talk-throughs and teaching. Occasionally I have heard
    the other term that Ron mentioned of "tandem reels in which the lead changes
    or alternates." Some local teachers use "tandem reel" to describe the
    follow-the-leader reel though I think I have heard "shadow reel" (as Lara
    noted) more frequently used--perhaps to avoid confusion.

    I have learned, and danced, The Dancing Dolphins but do not recall a special
    emphasis on the 1st couple dancing in a parallel alignment relative to the
    set. Obviously I should take another look at that dance. Thanks for your
    careful reading Peter.

    I have to laugh though. We've got "falcon" reels and "dolphin" reels which
    must mean that most of our reels are neither fish nor fowl. (And, yes, I
    _am_ aware that a dolphin is not a fish). Perhaps we can add "haring
    reels"--for when at least one dancer goes off on their own--or better yet
    "red herring reels" when one dancer follows a cue that sends him or her in
    the wrong direction.

    Cheers,
    Tim Wilson
    San Francisco, CA