Andrew C Aitchison

Re: Regarding Dance Technique and Etiquette

June 9, 2006, 7:36 p.m. (Message 45491, in reply to message 45482)

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:

> Regarding dance technique and etiquette -- I attend both Scottish Country
> dance classes and vintage dance classes and I have been presented with a
> problem...what to do when people want to turn using the so called "thumb
> hold". I was always taught that this turn is incorrect and in most Scottish
> classes people use the correct handshake hold for turns. However in the
> vintage classes (which dance a pretty good number of Scottish Country
> dances) have what I call an American influence and while not all use the
> thumb hold, a good many do. My arguement is it can cause injury.

My understanding is that the thumb hold is very common in some
non-RCSDS Scottish Dancing Circles, to the point where it is expected.
It isn't dangerous, even at speed, *provided that it is done right
and every one uses it*, so *not* using it may be frowned upon and
considered dangerous.