Edward Fryer

Reel of the 51st

Jan. 18, 2005, 3:38 p.m. (Message 40335, in reply to message 40295)

Martin wrote:

>But why was it?
>Has anyone an explanation for the 5-cp sets that were apparently part of
>the Scottish tradition >and which are still used I believe by reelers.
>These dances were obviousl y notdesigned to be >danced a la Black Mountain
>reel (1st & 3rd cps dancing simultaneously), nor is 1st cp expected to
>dance 3 times through, as far as I know. So why? Is it an echo of the old
>"longwise for as many as >will" sets? Or were there just 10 abled-bodied
>prisoners available at the outset?

At all the reeling balls I go to, with a 5 couple set the 1st couple do
dance 3 times, and then dance doubles at the bottom with the 5th couple (if
they're comfortable with doing this - otherwise they just drop down).
However 5 couple sets are being supplanted by 6 couple sets, where the 1st
and 4th couples start, and the first couple dances through 4 times.