SallenNic

Reel of the 51st

Jan. 15, 2005, 2:36 a.m. (Message 40308, in reply to message 40295)

In a message dated 14/1/05 7:18:26 am, xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx writes:

> Can?t help with the notes. Regarding the style, you might want to check out
> Ian Jamieson?s film of dancing in the Borders. There is a copy in the School
> of Scottish Studies at Edinburgh university, and another at Berea College
> (Ky). I have one, and gave a copy to the RSCDS archives in the early 80?s.
> Jamieson, is probably the only RSCDS afiliated person who did actual field
> research in country dancing. Many of his dances are in the Border Book produced by
> Allie Anderson, of Edinburgh Branch. In the film, rescued by the Fletts,
> litterly from a dustbin after Jamieson died, are some good examples of costume,
> and some military dancing with the men?s hairy sporans longer than their
> kilts.

But that film, fascinating though it is (there's also a copy in the Vaughan
Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp house, London) was taken in the early
1920's, whereas The reel of the 51st was devised during the second world war,
surely? :-)

Nicolas B., Lanark, Scotland http://www.nicolasbroadbridge.com