Adam Hughes

Cribs (was Re: Square dancing.)

Oct. 3, 2001, 7:44 p.m. (Message 27704)

Norah Link wrote:

>>If I had a penny for each person I had to individually
>>persuade at the
>>club I dance in that a crib was not an instrument of torture,
>>but was in
>>fact "succinct and easy to understand", I'd have more than 20
>>pence...
>>Some of them still don't think that.  Most of them are
>>educated people.
>>  Most of them are young (under 30).
>>

> P.S. Have you considered that it may also be necessary to redesign your
> cribs so they are easier to understand quickly?

I hadn't given it much thought, mostly because cribs are usually
provided to all attendees by the organiser, not by our club for our
members.  Home dances are not a problem since we can ensure we've done
all the dances in class.

I could try preparing my own cribs for dances I attend, and distributing
them in our club... but writing cribs isn't something I have much
experience of.  Any tips on producing good clear cribs would be
appreciated. (Peter?)

I tend to assume that some care has gone into the production of cribs
provide for a ball.  I'd feel a bit rude pulling out my own crib when
one is provided, as rude as taking a my own plate and cutlery to a
restaurant.

What I'd really like is for everyone to understand Pilling...

Adam
Cambridge, UK