Double triangles (was Divided by a common language)

  • ...

    Helen Beaney June 21, 2006, 11:46 a.m. (Message 45601)

    Richard wrote:
      double triangles - (Spain) triangles (only logical since double
      means x2, so there should be at least 4)
      but I think the Scottish term is correct: dancing lady forms one
      triangle whilst her partner forms another, then they move around
      back to back and form another triangle each: 4 in total.
      being pernickety in Dublin
     Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to
     use" – The Wall Street Journal
  • ... June 21, 2006, 1:56 p.m. (Message 45602, in reply to message 45601)

    Not quite so, since there are no triangles in the first place, since
    the corners to not touch hands with each other I would go for "double
    angles" two for the man, and two for the woman.
    Aside, the figure is an error in the first place. It was so defined by
    the RSCDS in a revival of a dance taken from notes. Unfortunately, no
    one either had access to, or had checked Wilson´s description of the
    figure, which simply describes the track of a single couple, from
    starting place moving anticlockwise around the outside of the two
    corners, forming for both the pattern of the star of David on the floor.
  • ...

    James Tween June 21, 2006, 8:06 p.m. (Message 45620, in reply to message 45602)

    Could you describe "actual" double (tri)angles for those of me who wants a
    little more info than the general sketch you gave?
    Preston, England
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau June 21, 2006, 8:48 p.m. (Message 45621, in reply to message 45620)

    James Tween wrote:
    > Could you describe "actual" double (tri)angles for those of me who wants a
    > little more info than the general sketch you gave?
    The Wilson document in question is available from the Strathspey Server (in
    PDF, thanks to the US Library of Congress), at
    The description of »the double triangle« is on page 155 of the PDF.
    For those of you who are understandably loth to download a 9-MB PDF file, I
    have put up the relevant bit at
    It is a picture with explanations that do not make a lot of sense without the
    Anselm Lingnau, Frankfurt, Germany .....................
    Where love is concerned, too much is not even enough.
                                                -- Pierre-Augustin De Beaumarchais
  • ...

    mlamontbrown June 21, 2006, 9:05 p.m. (Message 45622, in reply to message 45620)

    James asked:
    > Could you describe "actual" double (tri)angles for those of me who wants a
    > little more info than the general sketch you gave?
    If you look at the diagram in the history section of the Strathspey website (from
    Wilson's Complete System of English Country Dancing, also on the Strathspey site) you
    can see that today we would describe it as:
    The dancing couple, from second place on their own side, dance round their first
    corners R Sh, then round their second corners L Sh and return to second place own
    Malcolm L Brown
    York  (UK)
  • ... June 21, 2006, 10:32 p.m. (Message 45624, in reply to message 45601)

    Interesting pattern, does not fit the one in my memory, will check when
    I get the house organized enough to be able to find it. (Prognosis is
    that the house will be complete, well sort of, in two weeks, or
    Christmas. Officially the pool is almost tiled, some doors need
    glazing, the panels in the drawing room need replacing and the
    electricity reconnected in that room, 3 more doors hung, some painting
    and my escutcheon with house number inset in the keystone above the
    front door.)