Floor space per set?

  • ...

    S. Keith Graham June 8, 2006, 12:42 a.m. (Message 45460)

    I'm calling around to various dance studios and other facilities to see if
    some of them have reasonably priced sprung wood floors (please, no
    laughter), and I'm trying to get a guess for about how many sets can fit in
    different sized rooms.

    I have some intuitive ideas about how much space a set occupies, but I'm not
    sure I can convert them into numbers.  So does anyone have any guidelines
    for how much space you need for a set in SCD (or for different numbers of
    sets)?

    Thanks,

    Keith Graham
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    xxx@xxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Sue Willdig and Roger Picken June 14, 2006, 11:40 p.m. (Message 45552, in reply to message 45460)

    We reckon the minimum reasonable space you need for a rectangular set is 3.6
    metres x 5.2 metres (18.72 m2 per set). However 25 m2 per set feels more
    comfortable, and the shape of the room is an important factor! We've booked
    150 m2 for 6 sets for our Beginners' Weekend in September. For the 2005
    Iberian Weekend in Lisbon, we had between
    18 and 20 sets in about 420 m2, and we felt this was acceptable (21.00 -
    23.33 m2 per set).
    If you want to convert these measures into feet and inches, you might find
    the following site useful http://www.onlineconversion.com/
    Incidentally, there are still a limited number of places left for our
    Beginners' Weekend (not just for beginners!). If anyone reading this message
    knows of someone who may be interested, please direct them to "Events"
    section of http://www.math.ist.utl.pt/~rpicken/SCD/Telheiras

    Roger Picken

    Message: 4
    Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:42:19 -0400
    From: "S. K. Graham" <xxx@xxxx.xxx>
    Subject: Floor space per set?
    To: "SCD news and discussion" <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>

    I'm calling around to various dance studios and other facilities to see if
    some of them have reasonably priced sprung wood floors (please, no
    laughter), and I'm trying to get a guess for about how many sets can fit in
    different sized rooms.

    I have some intuitive ideas about how much space a set occupies, but I'm not
    sure I can convert them into numbers.  So does anyone have any guidelines
    for how much space you need for a set in SCD (or for different numbers of
    sets)?

    Thanks,

    Keith Graham
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    xxx@xxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Sue Willdig and Roger Picken June 14, 2006, 11:56 p.m. (Message 45553, in reply to message 45460)

    Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:42:19 -0400
    From: "S. K. Graham" <xxx@xxxx.xxx>
    To: "SCD news and discussion" <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>

    I'm calling around to various dance studios and other facilities to see if
    some of them have reasonably priced sprung wood floors (please, no
    laughter), and I'm trying to get a guess for about how many sets can fit in
    different sized rooms.

    I have some intuitive ideas about how much space a set occupies, but I'm not
    sure I can convert them into numbers.  So does anyone have any guidelines
    for how much space you need for a set in SCD (or for different numbers of
    sets)?

    Thanks,

    Keith Graham
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    xxx@xxxx.xxx
  • ...

    Volleyballjerry June 15, 2006, 6:50 a.m. (Message 45555, in reply to message 45460)

    Keith,

    Roger's reply reminded me that I had called the Hillcrest Arts Center, where
    my class is held, to find out for you the size of the room that we use, and
    then I absentmindedly forgot to actually write a reply!

    Our room is a dance rehearsal room that is 25 X 30 feet.  It's great for one
    set, also fine for six couples, but starts to get tight with seven or eight
    couple.  With two full sets, we can manage either eight couples lengthwise or
    two sets side by side up and down the short side of the room, but that's a tad
    tight either way.  Since we're comfortable with six couples, I imagine that you
    could reduce the footage by five feet in each direction and still have plenty
    of room for one longwise set for every 20' X 25' rectangle or maybe even a
    couple of feet less each way.

    Robb Quint
    Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
  • ...

    Don MacQueen June 19, 2006, 2:11 a.m. (Message 45581, in reply to message 45460)

    We have a 20 ft by 32 ft stage we use at various Scottish Games. A
    single demonstration team dancing a square set dance can easily use
    most of it, especially in the 20 ft direction. Three sets can fit
    side by side comfortably if you're willing to forgo any dances with
    down the middle and back (i.e., "up" and "down" are in the 20 ft
    direction. I think I've seen four sets on it for audience
    participation, i.e., 10 feet per set in width and 16 feet per set in
    length. But that's pretty crowded, and again, the lower sets have no
    room for down the middle and back.

    -Don

    --
    Don MacQueen