RSCDS Musicians Course

RODERICK JOHNSTON

May 30, 2006, 11:21 p.m. (Message 45427)

I have booked onto the Musicians Summer School (week 3) at St Andrews
and would like some advice on what to expect and prepare for.   I am a
competent accordionist and have attended summer schools at Stirling
Univ. but this will be my virst visit to St Andrews.    I have played
for Ceilidhs but want to gain experience in playing for Country
Dancing.

  Any advice on the courses and activities, social or otherwise, would be appreciated .

  Rod Johnston
  Fort William

  n.b. hope this isn't the second posting, I'm having problems with my server
George Meikle

George Meikle

May 30, 2006, 11:46 p.m. (Message 45428, in reply to message 45427)

Rod,

This year's Week 3 course is being led by Angela Young with Gordon Simpson
tutoring Fiddle and myself tutoring Accordion. I have just completed the
week 3 music workbook for all musicians which I delivered to RSCDS HQ this
afternoon. You should receive it direct from them in the next few days, thus
allowing you to get some practice in before coming to Summer School at the
end of July.

If you would like to send me your contact details privately to my email
(xxxxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx) I will gladly give you a call and put you in
the picture as regards the format of the course. Alternatively I can be
contacted on 01383 728457.

Looking forward to meeting you on the course.

Kind regards
George Meikle
Lothian Scottish Dance Band
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

May 30, 2006, 11:50 p.m. (Message 45429, in reply to message 45427)

I went to the course a year ago and I can't say enough good things about  it.
 Even though I have many years experience playing for dancing I learned  a
lot of small techniques and styling and it was nice for me to have a week's
immersion in SCD music.  For me, too, it was nice to be with other  accordionists
as here in the US they are few and far between.  The music  did not arrive
until late June or July, I can't remember, but I read well and  decided that the
teachers probably wanted open minds.  After I read through  the sets a couple
of times I left them alone.  We had 2 morning sessions  and 1 afternoon
session.  Each evening there was a country dance, 2  evenings also provided ceilidh
dancing.  The class played designated sets  for 2 country dance evenings, the
last 2 of the week as I recall.  We also  played for one afternoon class.
send me a private note if you want more information.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

May 31, 2006, 12:11 a.m. (Message 45430, in reply to message 45427)

On 30 May 2006 at 22:21, RODERICK JOHNSTON wrote:

> I have booked onto the Musicians Summer School (week 3) at St
Andrews and would like some advice on what to expect and prepare for.
I am a competent accordionist and have attended summer schools at
Stirling Univ. but this will be my virst visit to St Andrews.    I
have played for Ceilidhs but want to gain experience in playing for
Country Dancing.

>   Any advice on the courses and activities, social or otherwise,
>   Rod Johnston
>   Fort William

  :)) Yes!  Try to log in a bank of sleep _before_ you get there! :))
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

May 31, 2006, 10:34 a.m. (Message 45433, in reply to message 45430)

Especially if Ron is there too - and of course it is absolutely tee-total
there - and people go to bed early - are extremely serious and VERY
unfriendly - I myself won't be going at all!

(and if you believe this - you will believe anything :>)

Pia
moira

moira

May 31, 2006, 7:03 p.m. (Message 45438, in reply to message 45433)

Summer School is a rewarding meeting place for dancers and musicians alike.
I have been going  there for a few years now!!! so should know
Enjoy it
Moira
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

June 1, 2006, 1:06 a.m. (Message 45440, in reply to message 45433)

On 31 May 2006 at 9:34, Pia wrote:

From:           	"Pia" <xxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx>

> Especially if Ron is there too - and of course it is absolutely tee-total
> there - and people go to bed early - are extremely serious and VERY
> unfriendly - I myself won't be going at all!
>
> (and if you believe this - you will believe anything :>)
>
> Pia

	As though, Pia!

By the way, although this will not interest Pia, has anyone noticed in
the Weekly Timetable books that there is to be a pay bar in the TV
room off the Chequered Court?
	What with that and the IB drinkies room no-one need be
without a drink and a chat before meals.   I'm supposing that there
will be a IB meeting room again, Pia?
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

June 1, 2006, 9:32 a.m. (Message 45441, in reply to message 45440)

I hope so - we will sort something out somewhere

Pia