RSCDS Musicians Course

  • ...

    RODERICK JOHNSTON May 30, 2006, 11:21 p.m. (Message 45427)

    I have booked onto the Musicians Summer School (week 3) at St Andrews
    and would like some advice on what to expect and prepare for.   I am a
    competent accordionist and have attended summer schools at Stirling
    Univ. but this will be my virst visit to St Andrews.    I have played
    for Ceilidhs but want to gain experience in playing for Country
    Dancing.

      Any advice on the courses and activities, social or otherwise, would be appreciated .

      Rod Johnston
      Fort William

      n.b. hope this isn't the second posting, I'm having problems with my server
  • ...

    George Meikle May 30, 2006, 11:46 p.m. (Message 45428, in reply to message 45427)

    Rod,

    This year's Week 3 course is being led by Angela Young with Gordon Simpson
    tutoring Fiddle and myself tutoring Accordion. I have just completed the
    week 3 music workbook for all musicians which I delivered to RSCDS HQ this
    afternoon. You should receive it direct from them in the next few days, thus
    allowing you to get some practice in before coming to Summer School at the
    end of July.

    If you would like to send me your contact details privately to my email
    (xxxxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx) I will gladly give you a call and put you in
    the picture as regards the format of the course. Alternatively I can be
    contacted on 01383 728457.

    Looking forward to meeting you on the course.

    Kind regards
    George Meikle
    Lothian Scottish Dance Band
  • ...

    SMiskoe May 30, 2006, 11:50 p.m. (Message 45429, in reply to message 45427)

    I went to the course a year ago and I can't say enough good things about  it.
     Even though I have many years experience playing for dancing I learned  a
    lot of small techniques and styling and it was nice for me to have a week's
    immersion in SCD music.  For me, too, it was nice to be with other  accordionists
    as here in the US they are few and far between.  The music  did not arrive
    until late June or July, I can't remember, but I read well and  decided that the
    teachers probably wanted open minds.  After I read through  the sets a couple
    of times I left them alone.  We had 2 morning sessions  and 1 afternoon
    session.  Each evening there was a country dance, 2  evenings also provided ceilidh
    dancing.  The class played designated sets  for 2 country dance evenings, the
    last 2 of the week as I recall.  We also  played for one afternoon class.
    send me a private note if you want more information.
    Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
  • ...

    Ron Mackey May 31, 2006, 12:11 a.m. (Message 45430, in reply to message 45427)

    On 30 May 2006 at 22:21, RODERICK JOHNSTON wrote:

    > I have booked onto the Musicians Summer School (week 3) at St
    Andrews and would like some advice on what to expect and prepare for.
    I am a competent accordionist and have attended summer schools at
    Stirling Univ. but this will be my virst visit to St Andrews.    I
    have played for Ceilidhs but want to gain experience in playing for
    Country Dancing.

    >   Any advice on the courses and activities, social or otherwise,
    >   Rod Johnston
    >   Fort William

      :)) Yes!  Try to log in a bank of sleep _before_ you get there! :))
  • ...

    Pia Walker May 31, 2006, 10:34 a.m. (Message 45433, in reply to message 45430)

    Especially if Ron is there too - and of course it is absolutely tee-total
    there - and people go to bed early - are extremely serious and VERY
    unfriendly - I myself won't be going at all!

    (and if you believe this - you will believe anything :>)

    Pia
  • ...

    moira May 31, 2006, 7:03 p.m. (Message 45438, in reply to message 45433)

    Summer School is a rewarding meeting place for dancers and musicians alike.
    I have been going  there for a few years now!!! so should know
    Enjoy it
    Moira
  • ...

    Ron Mackey June 1, 2006, 1:06 a.m. (Message 45440, in reply to message 45433)

    On 31 May 2006 at 9:34, Pia wrote:

    From:           	"Pia" <xxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx>

    > Especially if Ron is there too - and of course it is absolutely tee-total
    > there - and people go to bed early - are extremely serious and VERY
    > unfriendly - I myself won't be going at all!
    >
    > (and if you believe this - you will believe anything :>)
    >
    > Pia

    	As though, Pia!

    By the way, although this will not interest Pia, has anyone noticed in
    the Weekly Timetable books that there is to be a pay bar in the TV
    room off the Chequered Court?
    	What with that and the IB drinkies room no-one need be
    without a drink and a chat before meals.   I'm supposing that there
    will be a IB meeting room again, Pia?
  • ...

    Pia Walker June 1, 2006, 9:32 a.m. (Message 45441, in reply to message 45440)

    I hope so - we will sort something out somewhere

    Pia