Copying Cassettes onto CD

Alan Paterson

May 18, 2006, 3:13 p.m. (Message 45309)

I still have about 40 MCs of SCD music which never really gets an airing
since I always just take my CD collection to classes (I haven't managed
to make the jump to laptop-stored MP3 yet).

I would very much like to be able to copy the contents of these tapes
onto CD.

I do have a computer which is able to burn CDs so what I understand that
I need to be able to do is to play the tapes into the computer and
isolate the tracks.

Has anyone out there done anything like this? If so, are there any hints
about either of these tasks? In paricular is there any (cheap!) software
to manipulate the individual tracks before burning them?

Replies can be made directly (xxxx@xxxxxxxx.xx) or to the List. Up to you.

Alan
Eike Albert-Unt

Eike Albert-Unt

May 18, 2006, 3:15 p.m. (Message 45310, in reply to message 45309)

Preferably to the list. :-) Thanks!

With best regards,
Eike
(facing the same kind of challenges)
Kent Smith

Kent Smith

May 18, 2006, 3:21 p.m. (Message 45311, in reply to message 45309)

I, for one, would appreciate also reading the answers, so I hope you'll
decide to reply to the list.

   Thanks,
   Kent, West Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Martin

Martin

May 18, 2006, 3:27 p.m. (Message 45312, in reply to message 45309)

Alan Paterson wrote:
> I still have about 40 MCs of SCD music...
> I would very much like to be able to copy  onto CD.

Been reading my thoughts , Alan?

> In paricular is there any (cheap!) software
> to manipulate the individual tracks before burning them?

Audacity, free download from Soundforge.

> Replies can be made ... to the List.
please !!!

Martin
Bob McLatchie

Bob McLatchie

May 18, 2006, 6 p.m. (Message 45319, in reply to message 45312)

I certainly endorse Martin's recommendation for Audacity. I have used it
for this purpose - and for creating 3x through versions for demos etc.
It allows me to do all the editing I want - picking out or putting in
chords, amplifying the signal, even changing the speed without altering
pitch.

I use it under Linux (Mandiva) but it is also available for Windows and
Mac.

I would also endorse Loretta's comment that this all takes time so if
you can find a CD (or MP3) version of your cassette, I suggest you buy
it.

Regards

Bob
Oxfordshire, England
Loretta Holz

Loretta Holz

May 18, 2006, 3:25 p.m. (Message 45313, in reply to message 45309)

Alan asked--
 > I would very much like to be able to copy the contents of these tapes
> onto CD.

Alan--
I've transferred a lot of music from tape to CD.  It is a time intensive job
so if you can buy the CD for the same music then buy it.
If not, then you need a program like Sound Forge.  The music must be played
on a cassette player hooked into the computer to create one file per side of
the cassette (you can play the tunes indiviidually and make separate files
but I found it easier just to let the whole cassette play one side).  After
you have the file of multiple tunes, you need to go in Sound Forge and break
it apart into separate tunes, fix as required, name and store the file
(format you select).  Then you can make CDs out of these files.

If you want more detail, ask questions.

Loretta

Loretta Holz
Warren, NJ USA
suepetyt

suepetyt

May 18, 2006, 3:30 p.m. (Message 45314, in reply to message 45313)

We have used Polderbit, it costs a few pounds but is extremely versatile as
you can also edit the sound track in it (add or remove chords!)

Happy Dancing
Sue Petyt
www.suepetyt.me.uk
Skype Sue Petyt
Jane Hewitt

Jane Hewitt

May 18, 2006, 3:57 p.m. (Message 45316, in reply to message 45313)

Alan asked--
 > I would very much like to be able to copy the contents of these tapes
> onto CD.

Alan--
The programme I use is MusicMatch JukeBox
Jane Hewott
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa
Alasdair Graham

Alasdair Graham

May 18, 2006, 3:58 p.m. (Message 45317, in reply to message 45309)

Alan,

This website has a step by step using the Audacity software, which was also
recommended in a recent computer magazine article for transferring music
from whatever source to CD.

http://www.sticksite.com/tape2cd/

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland
Eric Clyde

Eric Clyde

May 18, 2006, 4:50 p.m. (Message 45318, in reply to message 45309)

Alan:
I have been using Total Recorder, Standard Edition, from
www.highcriteria.com, for a number of years now.  It costs $17.95 (U.S.)
and this includes future updates to the program.  I have transferred
some LPs and quite a few tapes to CD, although I now have the separate
tracks on my laptop for use in class.

The program is easy to use.  You will need a cable to hook up the
earphone jack of your cassette player to the input jack on the sound
card of your computer.  Start the computer program and the cassette
player and make sure that the volume level is not too high or you may
get distortion.  When you have copied a side (of the tape or LP) it is
easy to save each dance selection separately, either as .wav files
(recommended if you are going to transfer to CD) or .mp3 files (which
are not as high quality, but take up much less space on your hard
disk).  Note that you will have to give each selection a name -- if you
want them in the same order as on the tape, then "1", "2", "3" etc.
would be fine.

To transfer the tracks to CD, I use Windows Media Player (free),
although there are lots of other programs available.  Insert a CD-R into
your CD writer, choose the program you want to do the copying, point to
the directory with the selections in it, highlight the selections, and copy.

It sounds complicated, but it's actually quite straightforward.

Eric
Brian Charlton

Brian Charlton

May 19, 2006, 2:02 a.m. (Message 45320, in reply to message 45309)

G'Day, All,

I have transferred a lot of my cassettes (usually copies of LPs) onto CD.
The programme I have used is CoolEdit, which was shareware, but has not been
bought out by Adobe and sold on as Audition (at a much increased price!). I
have also tried Audacity, which has the benefit of being free and is just as
capable as CoolEdit.

To do the job completely requires a significant amount of time. Cassettes
generally have background hum and other noises and it is preferable to
remove this noise from the tracks. The technique is to sample a part of the
'silent' area (between tracks) to establish the background noise profile,
then apply that profile to the whole side.

After noise reduction, the tracks should be normalised so that all tracks
have the same sound setting.

Splitting the tracks is easy. Highlight one track and copy the highlighted
area to the clipboard. Open a new file and copy the clipboard into the new
file. Save the file with the name of the dance. You can save as a wave file
or MP3, WMA or whatever you prefer.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia
Martin

Martin

May 19, 2006, 8:51 a.m. (Message 45322, in reply to message 45320)

I assumped Alan's problem was the same as mine, ie: how to get the music
into the computer.
Mine has no input socket to plug the recorder into. It has all sorts of
odd-shaped holes around the edges, but nothing that will take a jack --
except for output to loudspeakers (Mac ibook).

Actually, iI have managed to find a socket labeled microphone on my
older windows laptop.
Unfortunately, the CD player on that model stopped working a few days
after the guarantee expired!

Martin
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

May 19, 2006, 9:09 a.m. (Message 45324, in reply to message 45322)

Martin Sheffield wrote:

> Actually, iI have managed to find a socket labeled microphone on my
> older windows laptop.
> Unfortunately, the CD player on that model stopped working a few days
> after the guarantee expired!

You can't drive a microphone input from a tape recorder output -- the
microphone input is designed to pick up signals that are far weaker than what
the tape recorder produces (which is called »line level«) and would be
terribly overdriven if not damaged.

The sound cards for stationary PCs usually feature line inputs, but on a
notebook, you're pretty much out of luck. Your best bet if you're really into
this would be to try and obtain an external sound module based on, e.g., USB
or (more likely, on a Mac) FireWire (IEEE 1394). These are available at
prices ranging from the not exactly cheap to the utterly astronomical (for
professionals' use). Their advantage is that, at least for the somewhat
better ones, the quality they produce is usually way beyond that of anything
built directly into a PC, as the inside of a PC is not a particularly
suitable environment for converting analogue signals to digital without
picking up all kinds of distortion. (Although, if your original input comes
from cassette tapes, this may not really matter -- owing to the way tapes
work, their quality isn't usually that great to begin with.)

Anselm
There is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence.
                                                                -- Henry Adams
Brian Charlton

Brian Charlton

May 19, 2006, 9:15 a.m. (Message 45325, in reply to message 45322)

G'Day,

Martin may be right, Wintel computer motherboards usually have a sound
capability built-in, with a line-in socket as well as microphone and
line-out. These are usually hidden rounfd the back of the box. The sockets
are 3mm jack plug and are colour-coded - Line-in is blue, mic is red and
line-out green. The connection is the headphones out of a cassette player
into the line-in on the computer box. The recording software used should be
able to find it without trouble, but you may have to set Sounds and Audio
Devices in Control Panel to accept line-in recording.

I hope this helps,

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia
Don MacQueen

Don MacQueen

May 23, 2006, 3:16 a.m. (Message 45347, in reply to message 45322)

Martin,

Probably the least expensive solution for getting sound into an iBook
is the Griffin iMic
(http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic2/index.php ). It has
a place to plug in a standard audio jack, converts to USB, whereupon
(I assume) drivers that you install make it into something the audio
software can deal with.  US$ 40. It also includes software, Finyl
Vinyl, for doing the recording, and (I would guess) splitting into
tracks.

-Don

--
-------------------------
Don MacQueen

Tappan

May 24, 2006, 2:18 a.m. (Message 45361, in reply to message 45347)

Don MacQueen wrote,

>Probably the least expensive solution for getting sound into an
>iBook is the Griffin iMic
>(http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic2/index.php ). It has
>a place to plug in a standard audio jack, converts to USB, whereupon
>(I assume) drivers that you install make it into something the audio
>software can deal with.  US$ 40. It also includes software, Finyl
>Vinyl, for doing the recording, and (I would guess) splitting into
>tracks.

My daughter uses the iMic. I have one, but haven't tried it. Here's
what she told me about how to do it - for what it's worth. I have an
iMac, not PC, so don't know if the process is even remotely similar.
It may help someone, though.

Jan Tappan - directions below:
For this kind of thing, brian and I use Audio Hijack
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/ and an iMic.
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

Set up Audio Hijack so it's recording the sound from your USB port,
plug the iMic into the headphone jack of a cassette player using a
double-male minijack cable, plug the iMic into the USB port and play
the cassette into the computer. You'll have to do the track
separations either as you record in real time, recording a separate
file for each track and stopping in between, or by editing the larger
file after you're done recording using MP3 trimmer.
http://www.deepniner.net/mp3trimmer/
  (you'll have to convert the Audio Hijack file into MP3 before you do
that, and iTunes can do that handily.)
Angus Henry

Angus Henry

May 19, 2006, 5:40 a.m. (Message 45321, in reply to message 45309)

If you use a Mac (the machine for creativity!) let me know and I can
help - otherwise there are plenty of Bill Gates subscribers who will
know what to do with the other boxes    :-)

Angus
T L Harris

T L Harris

May 19, 2006, 9:32 a.m. (Message 45326, in reply to message 45309)

Hi Alan,

I have a friend who's doing our club's tape to CD transfers. He uses
DC Live, which is a professional programme (the slightly more advanced
version of which is used by the FBI). He achieves wonders with old and
noisy tapes.

He also recommends Audition (which is freeware) and Cool Edit (which
has now been taken over by another company, so may now have another
name).

Regards,
Terry Lynne Harris
Pretoria
South Africa
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

May 19, 2006, 9:51 a.m. (Message 45328, in reply to message 45326)

This discussion has been quite interesting

If you are already established, why not invest in new music on CD as you go
along, and then donate the tapes to new dance groups etc who could do with a
helping hand in the beginning until they have a better foothold.

Just an idea

Pia

Margaret Lambourne

Margaret Lambourne

May 19, 2006, 11:30 a.m. (Message 45329, in reply to message 45328)

Pia,

I will go through all my cassettes and those I have already transferred
to cd I will bring to summer school and give them to you to pass on to
new groups through the IB.

Margaret
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

May 19, 2006, 12:31 p.m. (Message 45330, in reply to message 45329)

That's wonderful - thanks
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

May 20, 2006, 1:10 a.m. (Message 45332, in reply to message 45328)

> If you are already established, why not invest in new music on CD as you go
> along, and then donate the tapes to new dance groups etc who could do with a
> helping hand in the beginning until they have a better foothold.
>
> Just an idea
>
> Pia

	I think many of us are loth to discard some of the superb
tracks of the past music masters.  Also there are any older dances
for which there is no new music.
	Now we get back to 'any suitable ... '
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

May 20, 2006, 2:21 p.m. (Message 45334, in reply to message 45332)

Well I was thinking more in the style of reissued music now on CD - and
somebody also kindly let me know that if people copied onto CD, and gave
their tapes away, there may be a copyright issue.   So perhaps I just opened
my mouth to let my belly rumble :>)

I still think that we should help new groups though.

Pia
Brian Charlton

Brian Charlton

May 20, 2006, 3:30 a.m. (Message 45333, in reply to message 45326)

G'Day,

As I stated in my earlier email, the freeware is Audacity. CoolEdit was
bought out by Adobe and re-issued as Audition.

Brian Charlton
Gordon Reynolds

Gordon Reynolds

May 20, 2006, 9:52 p.m. (Message 45335, in reply to message 45309)

Hi.  Further to Anselm's comments about notebooks, if you have a
PCMCIA slot then Creative now have an Audigy 2 ZS Notebook card that
you can use to input/output sound (Advertised at NZ$215.00) which will
add all the connections you need.

The notebook could then be used to transcribe from tape to CD but the
desktop is easier to use. However for playback, if you have good music
files and speakers you can provide excellent sound using the 2ZS.

Gordon
T L Harris

T L Harris

May 22, 2006, 8:07 a.m. (Message 45340, in reply to message 45309)

Thanks for the correction, Brian. I only saw your earlier email after
I'd pressed Send om mine. Sorry I got my names muddled.

Terry Lynne Harris
Pretoria
South Africa

>>> xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx 20-05-06 03:30 >>>