Strip The Willow (square)

  • ...

    Marie Disiewicz May 15, 2006, 10:45 p.m. (Message 45289)

    We have the pleasure of doing this dance and does someone know who devised it?
    Cheers
    Marie
  • ...

    SMiskoe May 15, 2006, 11:34 p.m. (Message 45290, in reply to message 45289)

    I learned it at a ceilidh session.  Lots of fun!
    Sylvia Miskoe Concord, NH USA
  • ...

    Andrea Re May 16, 2006, 12:18 a.m. (Message 45291, in reply to message 45290)

    xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx ha scritto:
    > I learned it at a ceilidh session.  Lots of fun!
    > Sylvia Miskoe Concord, NH USA

    Please, pass on the instructions. I have my last class next week and I
    think I might like to do it.

    Andrea (fae Dundee)
  • ...

    Ian Brockbank May 16, 2006, 12:08 p.m. (Message 45294, in reply to message 45291)

    Hi Andrea,

    > Please, pass on the instructions. I have my last class next week and I
    > think I might like to do it.

    Instructions are at http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cdance/sqrese.htm

    Cheers,

    Ian Brockbank
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    http://www.scottishdance.net/
  • ...

    Tom May 16, 2006, 1:02 p.m. (Message 45295, in reply to message 45294)

    Many thanks for the link, Ian
    In passing, how does one "balance" one's partner
    Regards

    Tom Busby
    Home Counties North
  • ...

    Ian Brockbank May 16, 2006, 1:14 p.m. (Message 45296, in reply to message 45295)

    Hi Tom,

    > Many thanks for the link, Ian
    > In passing, how does one "balance" one's partner

    I'm not certain (they're not my instructions), but I'd guess set twice and
    spin like in the Eightsome Reel.

    Ian Brockbank
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    http://www.scottishdance.net/
  • ...

    James Tween May 16, 2006, 8:03 p.m. (Message 45301, in reply to message 45296)

    I've only ever done Strip the Willow Square on the English ceilidh circuit,
    to the instructions given by Marie (ending with promenade rather than
    balance and swing).  As the site given by Ian is an English dance archive,
    "balance and swing" would use the ceilidh version of setting or balancing,
    i.e. jump, kick, jump, kick, as in Military Twostep (without joining of
    hands).  As in things like Dashing White Sergeant or Eightsome, this would
    probably transfer into the SCD realm as set twice and spin, as Ian says.

    On a tangent, English dances have both balancing (as above) and setting,
    with setting being a relaxed step similar to the pas-de-basque, coming down
    from things like Playford, but then some dances, such as Balance the Star,
    have this setting movement in them but call it balancing ... and then
    there's Contra balancing which is a bit like setting ... and so it goes on

    - James -
  • ...

    Alasdair Graham May 16, 2006, 1:37 p.m. (Message 45297, in reply to message 45295)

    Slightly more detailed instructions (reproduced below) can be found on this
    site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/greenery/BarnDances/ToC.html
    Strip the Willow Square
    square. Difficulty: 2

      a.. A1: Heads take ballroom hold, galop across 8 steps, men pass back to
    back; galop back, women passing back to back.
      b.. A2: Sides ditto.
      c.. B1 and B2: Head men strip the willow using elbow turns: turn each
    other 3/4 round by right elbow, turn the woman they're facing (that's the
    one on their right when they started) by the left elbow, turn each other,
    the woman who was opposite them, each other, the woman who was on their
    left, each other, own partner. Always right arm to each other, left to
    others.
      d.. C1: All circle left and right.
      e.. C2: Balance twice and swing partner.
     Music: 48-bar jigs

    Some people leave off C1 and C2.
  • ...

    Adam Hughes May 25, 2006, 10:53 a.m. (Message 45366, in reply to message 45289)

    Marie Disiewicz wrote:
    > We have the pleasure of doing this dance and does someone know who
    > devised it?

    Sorry, I'm not reading 'spey as often as I should.

    My sources tell me that the dance was most likely devised by Eddie
    Upton, although that Thomas Green hasn't attributed it as such on his
    website indicates that there is uncertainty.  A large number of callers
    for English Ceilidhs appear to think that, at this stage, it is trad,
    whoever came up with it in the first place.

    Of course, all the instructions miss the best bit, which is the 5th and
    6th times though, all the men (5th) and then all the women (6th) can
    simultaneously strip the willow in a square, with a nifty 3/4 right
    hands across... (tricky to know whether sides or heads gallop first
    though...)

    Adam
    Cambridge, UK.

    Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with
    All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
  • ...

    Marie Disiewicz May 25, 2006, 5:09 p.m. (Message 45374, in reply to message 45366)

    Totally Awesome! Never knew about the 5th & 6th time through. Will add that
    to the instructions.
    Cheers
    Marie