RSCDS News via RSS

  • ...

    Alan Paterson May 8, 2006, 8:33 a.m. (Message 45193)

    OK. Full confession time.

    I have not the slightest idea what RSS is and what it can do for me.

    Anyone with an explanation to hand?

    Alan
  • ...

    Anselm Lingnau May 8, 2006, 9:12 a.m. (Message 45194, in reply to message 45193)

    Alan Paterson schrieb:

    > I have not the slightest idea what RSS is and what it can do for me.
    >
    > Anyone with an explanation to hand?

    Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format) -- in essence, RSS
    others) is a way of making available, say, news headlines or blog entries in
    a standardised way such that you always get to see the last few ones posted.
    listings from various sources and it will, in effect, give you something like
    a personal newspaper. If you have ever used the Firefox browser, you may have
    noticed its »live bookmarks« feature; this is based on RSS.

    Nowadays, RSS is also taking over the rôle of what us old fogeys used to know
    as Usenet or »Netnews«. RSS is inferior to Usenet in countless ways, but
    hey -- it's new (Usenet having been around for not quite 30 years now), it's
    XML-based, and so it simply *must* be better!

    Anselm
    Fear less, hope more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; hate
    less, love more -- and all good things are yours.           -- Swedish Proverb