Sons of the Rock

Charles Upton

May 6, 2006, 1:24 a.m. (Message 45180)

Hello, can anyone let me have details of this Round the Room dance.

Charles Upton
Minicrib
George and Vicki Hamilton

George and Vicki Hamilton

May 7, 2006, 3:14 a.m. (Message 45183, in reply to message 45180)

While you're at it, can you give me instructions for The Marine Four-step?
Enquiring minds want to know.

Cheers

Vicki
Sheena & Bill Flynn

Sheena & Bill Flynn

May 7, 2006, 4:05 a.m. (Message 45184, in reply to message 45180)

Hi,

I do not have any details about this dance, but the title makes me wonder
about its origin.  At one time if one were born in Stirling, Scotland, one
could be described as a "Son of the Rock" or presumably a "Daughter of the
Rock."  The "rock" reference is to the massive rock upon which Stirling
Castle dominates the city and the Forth River valley.  "Son of the Rock"
isn't even a term that was used very much 50 years ago, and probably even
less nowadays.  Anyone know if this is the derivation of the name of this
dance or is it something else altogether?

Really appreciate "Minicrib" Charles, thank you.

Bill Flynn
Kamloops, B.C.
With wife Sheena, both Stirling born.
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

May 7, 2006, 7:49 a.m. (Message 45185, in reply to message 45184)

Greetings!

AFAIK, in Scotland, 'Sons of the Rock, always refers to those from
Dumbarton, where Dumbarton Rock towers over the town.

Jim Healy
Monaco and Perth

I do not have any details about this dance, but the title makes me wonder
about its origin.  At one time if one were born in Stirling, Scotland, one
could be described as a "Son of the Rock" or presumably a "Daughter of the
Rock."  The "rock" reference is to the massive rock upon which Stirling
Castle dominates the city and the Forth River valley.  "Son of the Rock"
isn't even a term that was used very much 50 years ago, and probably even
less nowadays.  Anyone know if this is the derivation of the name of this
dance or is it something else altogether?

Really appreciate "Minicrib" Charles, thank you.

Bill Flynn
Kamloops, B.C.
With wife Sheena, both Stirling born.
Alasdair Graham

Alasdair Graham

May 7, 2006, 11:16 a.m. (Message 45186, in reply to message 45180)

Charles,

This dance, and the other one you asked about privately (sorry I had not
replied), are unknown to me.
However if you look at the posting below you will see 'Sons of the Rock'
listed on a Dundee Branch programme posted by Stella.

http://www.strathspey.org/archive/thread?s=33598

The other one 'The Accululator' appears on a cassette [1006-C - 'Ceilidh
Saturday Night']  by the Ring O' Bells Country Dance Band and is listed as
an Irish Square Dance.

Alasdair Graham,
Dumbarton, Scotland.
Charles Upton

Charles Upton

May 7, 2006, 4:18 p.m. (Message 45190, in reply to message 45180)

Thanks Bill for your appreciation of Minicrib & thanks Alasdair for
information about the above dance  There appears to be several CDs
which include this dance but am still unable to find out how it goes.
Can anyone help regard the dance 'The Accumulator'.  I understand that
it is a 'snowball' dance where the each dancer select a new partners
every 32 bars.
Charles Upton
Minicrib
Keith R Bark

Keith R Bark

May 8, 2006, 4:10 a.m. (Message 45192, in reply to message 45190)

I have sent a copy of the dance to Charles.  I have taught the dance at
several Ceilidhs that I have been involved with here in Canada and people
always ask if the dance came from Newfoundland because that is referred to
as the Rock!  At least now I can give them the correct answer.

Keith