The Gary Strathspey

  • ...

    SMiskoe May 4, 2006, 7:05 p.m. (Message 45154)

    Does anyone have any interesting information about The Gary Strathspey and
    the tune it is danced to, Jig Time Polka?  I am going to teach the tune to  a
    group of musicians and I like to add as much information about it as I can
    find.
    Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, N USA
  • ...

    Steve Wyrick May 4, 2006, 9:18 p.m. (Message 45155, in reply to message 45154)

    On Thu, 4 May 2006 13:05:47 EDT
      xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:
    > Does anyone have any interesting information about The Gary Strathspey and
    > the tune it is danced to, Jig Time Polka?  I am going to teach the tune to
    > group of musicians and I like to add as much information about it as I can
    > find.

    A Google search turned up this thread on the Strathspey server:

    http://www.strathspey.org/archive/thread?s=4863#4863 -Steve

    --
    Steve Wyrick - Concord, California
  • ...

    Ron Mackey May 4, 2006, 11 p.m. (Message 45156, in reply to message 45155)

    >   xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:
    > > Does anyone have any interesting information about The Gary Strathspey and
    > > the tune it is danced to, Jig Time Polka?  I am going to teach the tune to
    > > group of musicians and I like to add as much information about it as I can
    > > find.

    	I have the original music for it and The Old Barn Jig before
    me as I write !!.
    It was first danced on TV (the copyright is dated 1958) and the
    frontispiece states STV's TOP Scottish Dance Programme.  I'm not
    sure if it was The Kilt is My Delight or The White Heather Club.  I
    rather suspect the latter as the picture is of a TV studio with all the
    dancers and watchers and they are not formally dressed! Shirt
    sleeves - I ask you!!  Of course it may be rehearsals but there are a
    couple of sets and TKIMD was more dem style.
    The tunes were composed by George Keenan and Jimmy Blair,  for
    'Piano and Piano - Accordian'
    Published by Mozart Allan 84 Carlton Place Glasgow.  Price 2/-
    (shillings) net!
    My goodness - I've just noticed the tiny waists on most of the ladies
    (girls).  Still, they walked much more in those days.:~)
  • ...

    alan mair May 5, 2006, 8:37 a.m. (Message 45163, in reply to message 45156)

    > I have the original music for it and The Old Barn Jig before
    > me as I write !!.
    > It was first danced on TV (the copyright is dated 1958) and the
    > frontispiece states STV's TOP Scottish Dance Programme.  I'm not
    > sure if it was The Kilt is My Delight or The White Heather Club.  I
    > rather suspect the latter as the picture is of a TV studio with all the
    > dancers and watchers and they are not formally dressed! Shirt
    > sleeves - I ask you!!  Of course it may be rehearsals but there are a
    > couple of sets and TKIMD was more dem style.

    I suggest it was probably "Jig Time" . Both TWHC ans TKIMD were BBC progs.
    I'm old enough to remember then all.

    Alan
    Cupar
    Fife
  • ...

    Ron Mackey May 6, 2006, 1:23 a.m. (Message 45173, in reply to message 45163)

    On 5 May 2006 at 7:37, Alan Mair wrote:

    > I suggest it was probably "Jig Time" . Both TWHC ans TKIMD were BBC progs.
    > I'm old enough to remember then all.
    >
    > Alan

    Ach, of course!   So that's why we didn't get it.  I wrote that note at
    about 1 in the morning and the penny didn't drop that we wouldn't
    have had STV!  Dhurrr.
  • ...

    Martin May 5, 2006, 9:51 a.m. (Message 45165, in reply to message 45156)

    Ron Mackey wrote:
    > My goodness - I've just noticed the tiny waists on most of the ladies
    > (girls).  Still, they walked much more in those days.:~)

    One of the pleasures of watching old films -- seeing people that did not
    stuff themselves with junk food.

    Martin
  • ...

    Wesley Harry May 5, 2006, 9:34 a.m. (Message 45164, in reply to message 45154)

    Will someone let me know where I can find the instructions for "The Gary
    Strathspey"?  I am aware of the dance by Cosh "The Garry Strathspey"!!
    Wesley
  • ...

    SMiskoe May 5, 2006, 2:53 p.m. (Message 45167, in reply to message 45154)

    In a message dated 5/5/2006 3:38:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
    xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx.xx writes:

    instructions for "The Gary
    Strathspey"?

    My mistake in spelling.  I can never remember if there is one R or 2  and I
    know Gary Blair spells his name with 1 and the dance refers to him.
    Sylvia Miskoe Concord, NH USA
  • ...

    seonaid.gent May 6, 2006, 10:13 a.m. (Message 45177, in reply to message 45167)

    I always thought that it was named after the River Garry which flows
    near Pitlochry.  Anyone able to confirm or deny?

      Seonaid
      Fife, Scotland

    xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:
      My mistake in spelling. I can never remember if there is one R or 2 and I
    know Gary Blair spells his name with 1 and the dance refers to him.

    ---------------------------------
      24 FIFA World Cup tickets to be won with Yahoo! Mail. Learn more
  • ...

    Stella Fogg May 6, 2006, 5:04 p.m. (Message 45178, in reply to message 45177)

    This message should be in the Strathspey archives as I believe it was a
    response to Etienne ozorak.......

    Dear Gary,

    I'm curious to know more about this dance.  I understand that your father
    composed the Jigtime Polka.  How did it come about being used as the
    original for the Garry Strathspey?

    Because the Garry Strathspey was invented for me.  This dance was devised at
    the time of my birth, by a man called Cosh, (only problem was, that he spelt
    my name wrong!)
    Thanks for enquiring
    BTW.  As you will probably been aware of, the Jigtime polka was written for
    a TV show, of the same name on which my father and his band played.  But,
    the tune my father originally wrote for the programme was called "The Bute
    Polka", and for some reason, he decided to change it.  I don't know if I
    told you or not, but I managed to get three episodes of "Jigtime" onto
    video.  One was from 1957, one from 1958 and one from 1962.  There were only
    the three episodes left in STV's archives, so I count myself lucky!
    Salut
    Gary Blair (ecosse)

    Stella Fogg
    Richmond, VA
  • ...

    Steve Wyrick May 6, 2006, 6:12 p.m. (Message 45179, in reply to message 45178)

    Yes, that's the text of the link to the archives that I posted in my earlier
    response; it was forwarded to the list from Etienne. -Steve