The Mercat Cross

Chris1Ronald

May 1, 2006, 2:10 a.m. (Message 45132)

This dance - by John Bowie Dickson - is on an upcoming ball programme  (the
Boston Ball) and I have to teach it tomorrow evening.  I've  done the dance
several times, and don't expect any problem with the  teaching.  But I don't have
the original instructions, and I'm wondering if  John Bowie Dickson named the
dance after any particular mercat cross (yes, I  looked it up in google,
wikipedia, etc.), or if he gave any other explanation  for the name of the dance.

So I'd be glad to hear from you (on or off list) if you have access to  the
original instructions.

Many thanks,

Chris, New York.
Alan Twhigg

Alan Twhigg

May 1, 2006, 2:25 a.m. (Message 45133, in reply to message 45132)

Hi Chris,

According to Dunedin Dances Book 3, the dance was devised for Harry and
Heather Knox, but there is no indication beyond that as to the
location. Perhaps someone on the list knows this couple and can supply
additional information for you.

cheers, Alan Twhigg.
Bryan McAlister

Bryan McAlister

May 2, 2006, 9:52 a.m. (Message 45143, in reply to message 45133)

They are members of Linlithgow Club.  If anyone wishes to contact them
please email me and I will pass it on.

In message <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx>, Alan Twhigg
<xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx> writes

--