contact details

Pia Walker

April 25, 2006, 5:28 p.m. (Message 45108)

Which reminds me - it would really be helpful for us poor travellers if all
clubs/brances/sets/individual dancers could check the contact details which
are in the public domaine - i.e. not your own websites.

I was recently in Dubai (and other places) and decided to go dancing in
Dubai having missed dancing in all the other places due to conference
dinners, travel etc.

My contact in Dubai which I received via Mexico had not managed to contact
me before I went, because I was too slow to contact her - but I knew that in
Dubai they danced in the Dubai Country Club - and when there, I checked
online and the Expat Womens pages confirmed this plus date and that it was
Squash Court 3.

I took a chance and a taxi and ventured forth into the traffic chaos and
general maniacal driving in this wonderful place - when I got there I was
received with totally blank stares - nobody had heard about SCD - apparently
the info I got online was (years?) out of date.   Gate crashed the pool bar
in the Country Club (my only chance to get to such a place :>)) had a drink
and a snoop (memories of 6 arabic gentlemen in full garb playing snooker in
one of the rooms) and went back to my hotel. No dancing.

Before anyone says that I should have checked with RSCDS etc, the dancers
out there apparently are not affilliated - yes indeed there are plenty
places out there where Scottish Country Dancing is carried out without
contact with Edinburgh - and therefore one cannot check up on them via
RSCDS.

Just a little by the way - it may help others to join you in dancing.

Pia
Who really enjoyed Dubai anyway -  can recommend Dune-bashing - it is a bit
like Wild/White Water Rafting with a 4 wheel drive in sand.

We have a member going on holiday to Leipzig this weekend for about 6
weeks.    Any advice on SCD availability within reach of Leipzig
during that time will be most welcome, and will be passed on
immediately.

Many thanks

Angus

Angus Henry;  Secretary, NT Branch RSCDS
web site <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>

Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

April 25, 2006, 5:41 p.m. (Message 45109, in reply to message 45108)

Pia wrote:

> Which reminds me - it would really be helpful for us poor
> travellers if all
> clubs/brances/sets/individual dancers could check the contact
> details which
> are in the public domaine - i.e. not your own websites.

That includes me - http://www.scottishdance.net/groups/

[Oh no - I've probably just doomed myself to another hundred updates...still
6 weeks behind on previous updates...]

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/
Alexandre Rafalovitch

Alexandre Rafalovitch

April 25, 2006, 5:44 p.m. (Message 45110, in reply to message 45108)

On 4/25/06, Pia <xxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:

> Which reminds me - it would really be helpful for us poor travellers if all
> clubs/brances/sets/individual dancers could check the contact details which
> are in the public domaine - i.e. not your own websites.

My feeling is that it should be some sort of centralised service even.
Everybody registers their website with a particular provider (could be
done automatically first time) and that provider periodically (say
every 3 months) runs dead-link checkers, sends confirmation emails of
'X linked to you', etc.

Theoretically, this should even be a part of HQ's services to the
branches, but I suspect they have their own problems with technology
and/or there may not even be providers out there to do such services.

Do people (website masters in this case) even care if their links are
dead? Does anybody send 'notice, dead link' emails to web sites they
visit? I do, but then I worked in tech-support before.....

I am quite interested in this topic, so if you don't want to email the
whole list, private emails are welcome too.

Regards,
   Alex.
Martin

Martin

April 25, 2006, 5:57 p.m. (Message 45111, in reply to message 45108)

Pia wrote:
> Which reminds me - it would really be helpful for us poor travellers if all
> clubs/brances/sets/individual dancers could check the contact details which
> are in the public domaine - i.e. not your own websites.

I quite agree, but do we know where our details arre published?

Or how to get them updated?

It's not always obvious.

Martin,
still at same address in grenoble France -- but with a new telephone
number. Who shall I send it to?
Alexandre Rafalovitch

Alexandre Rafalovitch

April 25, 2006, 6:06 p.m. (Message 45112, in reply to message 45111)

> I quite agree, but do we know where our details arre published?
> Or how to get them updated?
> It's not always obvious.

Easy:
1) Go to: http://www.google.com
2) Put in your top level website address, e.g.
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france (notice not even the final
slash)
3) Search brings you to the page with options for Cache, Similar to,
Linked to, Contain the term
4) Check the webpages returned by the last two searches (Linked to,
Contain the term). Those are the ones Google knows about. There might
be overlaps.
5) Go to http://www.google.com/alerts (may need a free account). Setup
the alert search with the website URL to automatically be notified
when it appears in new places.

This is not a 100% solution, but it is a very good easy step in the
right direction.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
   Alex.
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

April 25, 2006, 7:25 p.m. (Message 45116, in reply to message 45111)

One way is searcing by using the name and/or some lateral thinking - in my
case I searched on Scottish Country Dancing Dubai.

And then see what comes up.

With regards to Alex comments - well this was a third party web site I found
the info on - so they probably weren't aware that the info was out of date.
One way would be to take a print out of the home page of all the places
where you place information and keep them in a folder - this can be handed
over when you give the job to someone else or used when you move.

Pia
suepetyt

suepetyt

April 25, 2006, 6:38 p.m. (Message 45113, in reply to message 45108)

This is a problem I am always highlighting when I do website reviews for the
Dance On! Magazine.

There are a lot of dancing websites which are not up to date, some years out
of date, and to make it worse, many events listings to not have the year so
you have to look at a calendar and check the day of the week (if they have
that).

I always think it is better not to have a website, than to have an out of
date website.

It would be impossible for one person to maintain a central website (witness
Ian's problems keeping up to date) and John Sturrock's is the one the RSCDS
link to - they will never manage it.

The best option is for regional sites where events are held with links from
the RSCDS site.  This is already happening by default to some extent.  I
manage a site which posts events in south west Scotland and north west
England (and a few a bit further afield) www.dumfries-rscds.org and Alasdair
Graham manages one for west central Scotland. These areas are a size that
one person can manage to keep up to date.

Happy Dancing
Sue Petyt
www.suepetyt.me.uk
Skype Sue Petyt
Alexandre Rafalovitch

Alexandre Rafalovitch

April 25, 2006, 6:48 p.m. (Message 45114, in reply to message 45113)

On 4/25/06, suepetyt <xxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx> wrote:
> It would be impossible for one person to maintain a central website (witness
> Ian's problems keeping up to date) and John Sturrock's is the one the RSCDS
> link to - they will never manage it.

Oh, I did not say that one person maintains the website. What I meant
is that one person/company checks all the websites. There are tools on
the market that will scan all your pages and check them for dead links
(a good free one is at http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html).
Then the dead links (and often they wil be shared my many websites)
could be chased to see if they just moved site structure, moved to a
new website or completely gone. The final result would be sent to the
individual site maintainers and they can update the links wholehog,
rather than one by one as people discover them.

> I always think it is better not to have a website, than to have an out of
date website.

I don't fully agree on that one. Perfection should be a goal, not a
pre-requisite. It is worth knowing that Dubai group existed at some
point and be able to chase from there, than not to know about it at
all.

Regards,
   Alex.
Marie Disiewicz

Marie Disiewicz

April 25, 2006, 7:22 p.m. (Message 45115, in reply to message 45108)

Hi Pia
Is that the group that Roshen used to teach?????
I might have her in the wrong area.
Now if you had asked the Strathspey Server group first, I bet you would have
got the information you needed.

That said: I am still looking for the 2 dances requested the other day. I
have been in touch with Glasgow and no repsonse from them either. So there
you have it.
Cheers
Marie
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

April 25, 2006, 7:27 p.m. (Message 45117, in reply to message 45115)

I think Roshen is in India and since I never met any of the group I wouldn't
know who taught them :>)
Well not asking Strathspey was my first and biggest mistake :>) I should
know by now that it is an all-knowing service.

Pia
Breest, Anja

Breest, Anja

April 26, 2006, 10:31 a.m. (Message 45119, in reply to message 45108)

Well, even if you do have the right place and the right time to go, there
could always be a reason why an that specific day you would like to come
there is no dancing.

So I would advice: NEVER go to a dancing without checking with somebody
form the group.

We like to have guests and we hate to have them standing outside the door
;-)

Greetings,
 Anja

Cologne Scottish Country Dancers (Germany)