contact details

  • ...

    Pia Walker April 25, 2006, 5:28 p.m. (Message 45108)

    Which reminds me - it would really be helpful for us poor travellers if all
    clubs/brances/sets/individual dancers could check the contact details which
    are in the public domaine - i.e. not your own websites.

    I was recently in Dubai (and other places) and decided to go dancing in
    Dubai having missed dancing in all the other places due to conference
    dinners, travel etc.

    My contact in Dubai which I received via Mexico had not managed to contact
    me before I went, because I was too slow to contact her - but I knew that in
    Dubai they danced in the Dubai Country Club - and when there, I checked
    online and the Expat Womens pages confirmed this plus date and that it was
    Squash Court 3.

    I took a chance and a taxi and ventured forth into the traffic chaos and
    general maniacal driving in this wonderful place - when I got there I was
    received with totally blank stares - nobody had heard about SCD - apparently
    the info I got online was (years?) out of date.   Gate crashed the pool bar
    in the Country Club (my only chance to get to such a place :>)) had a drink
    and a snoop (memories of 6 arabic gentlemen in full garb playing snooker in
    one of the rooms) and went back to my hotel. No dancing.

    Before anyone says that I should have checked with RSCDS etc, the dancers
    out there apparently are not affilliated - yes indeed there are plenty
    places out there where Scottish Country Dancing is carried out without
    contact with Edinburgh - and therefore one cannot check up on them via
    RSCDS.

    Just a little by the way - it may help others to join you in dancing.

    Pia
    Who really enjoyed Dubai anyway -  can recommend Dune-bashing - it is a bit
    like Wild/White Water Rafting with a 4 wheel drive in sand.

    We have a member going on holiday to Leipzig this weekend for about 6
    weeks.    Any advice on SCD availability within reach of Leipzig
    during that time will be most welcome, and will be passed on
    immediately.

    Many thanks

    Angus

    Angus Henry;  Secretary, NT Branch RSCDS
    web site <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>

  • ...

    Ian Brockbank April 25, 2006, 5:41 p.m. (Message 45109, in reply to message 45108)

    Pia wrote:

    > Which reminds me - it would really be helpful for us poor
    > travellers if all
    > clubs/brances/sets/individual dancers could check the contact
    > details which
    > are in the public domaine - i.e. not your own websites.

    That includes me - http://www.scottishdance.net/groups/

    [Oh no - I've probably just doomed myself to another hundred updates...still
    6 weeks behind on previous updates...]

    Cheers,

    Ian Brockbank
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    http://www.scottishdance.net/
  • ...

    Alexandre Rafalovitch April 25, 2006, 5:44 p.m. (Message 45110, in reply to message 45108)

    On 4/25/06, Pia <xxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:

    > Which reminds me - it would really be helpful for us poor travellers if all
    > clubs/brances/sets/individual dancers could check the contact details which
    > are in the public domaine - i.e. not your own websites.

    My feeling is that it should be some sort of centralised service even.
    Everybody registers their website with a particular provider (could be
    done automatically first time) and that provider periodically (say
    every 3 months) runs dead-link checkers, sends confirmation emails of
    'X linked to you', etc.

    Theoretically, this should even be a part of HQ's services to the
    branches, but I suspect they have their own problems with technology
    and/or there may not even be providers out there to do such services.

    Do people (website masters in this case) even care if their links are
    dead? Does anybody send 'notice, dead link' emails to web sites they
    visit? I do, but then I worked in tech-support before.....

    I am quite interested in this topic, so if you don't want to email the
    whole list, private emails are welcome too.

    Regards,
       Alex.
  • ...

    Martin April 25, 2006, 5:57 p.m. (Message 45111, in reply to message 45108)

    Pia wrote:
    > Which reminds me - it would really be helpful for us poor travellers if all
    > clubs/brances/sets/individual dancers could check the contact details which
    > are in the public domaine - i.e. not your own websites.

    I quite agree, but do we know where our details arre published?

    Or how to get them updated?

    It's not always obvious.

    Martin,
    still at same address in grenoble France -- but with a new telephone
    number. Who shall I send it to?
  • ...

    Alexandre Rafalovitch April 25, 2006, 6:06 p.m. (Message 45112, in reply to message 45111)

    > I quite agree, but do we know where our details arre published?
    > Or how to get them updated?
    > It's not always obvious.

    Easy:
    1) Go to: http://www.google.com
    2) Put in your top level website address, e.g.
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france (notice not even the final
    slash)
    3) Search brings you to the page with options for Cache, Similar to,
    Linked to, Contain the term
    4) Check the webpages returned by the last two searches (Linked to,
    Contain the term). Those are the ones Google knows about. There might
    be overlaps.
    5) Go to http://www.google.com/alerts (may need a free account). Setup
    the alert search with the website URL to automatically be notified
    when it appears in new places.

    This is not a 100% solution, but it is a very good easy step in the
    right direction.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,
       Alex.
  • ...

    Pia Walker April 25, 2006, 7:25 p.m. (Message 45116, in reply to message 45111)

    One way is searcing by using the name and/or some lateral thinking - in my
    case I searched on Scottish Country Dancing Dubai.

    And then see what comes up.

    With regards to Alex comments - well this was a third party web site I found
    the info on - so they probably weren't aware that the info was out of date.
    One way would be to take a print out of the home page of all the places
    where you place information and keep them in a folder - this can be handed
    over when you give the job to someone else or used when you move.

    Pia
  • ...

    suepetyt April 25, 2006, 6:38 p.m. (Message 45113, in reply to message 45108)

    This is a problem I am always highlighting when I do website reviews for the
    Dance On! Magazine.

    There are a lot of dancing websites which are not up to date, some years out
    of date, and to make it worse, many events listings to not have the year so
    you have to look at a calendar and check the day of the week (if they have
    that).

    I always think it is better not to have a website, than to have an out of
    date website.

    It would be impossible for one person to maintain a central website (witness
    Ian's problems keeping up to date) and John Sturrock's is the one the RSCDS
    link to - they will never manage it.

    The best option is for regional sites where events are held with links from
    the RSCDS site.  This is already happening by default to some extent.  I
    manage a site which posts events in south west Scotland and north west
    England (and a few a bit further afield) www.dumfries-rscds.org and Alasdair
    Graham manages one for west central Scotland. These areas are a size that
    one person can manage to keep up to date.

    Happy Dancing
    Sue Petyt
    www.suepetyt.me.uk
    Skype Sue Petyt
  • ...

    Alexandre Rafalovitch April 25, 2006, 6:48 p.m. (Message 45114, in reply to message 45113)

    On 4/25/06, suepetyt <xxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx> wrote:
    > It would be impossible for one person to maintain a central website (witness
    > Ian's problems keeping up to date) and John Sturrock's is the one the RSCDS
    > link to - they will never manage it.

    Oh, I did not say that one person maintains the website. What I meant
    is that one person/company checks all the websites. There are tools on
    the market that will scan all your pages and check them for dead links
    (a good free one is at http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html).
    Then the dead links (and often they wil be shared my many websites)
    could be chased to see if they just moved site structure, moved to a
    new website or completely gone. The final result would be sent to the
    individual site maintainers and they can update the links wholehog,
    rather than one by one as people discover them.

    > I always think it is better not to have a website, than to have an out of
    date website.

    I don't fully agree on that one. Perfection should be a goal, not a
    pre-requisite. It is worth knowing that Dubai group existed at some
    point and be able to chase from there, than not to know about it at
    all.

    Regards,
       Alex.
  • ...

    Marie Disiewicz April 25, 2006, 7:22 p.m. (Message 45115, in reply to message 45108)

    Hi Pia
    Is that the group that Roshen used to teach?????
    I might have her in the wrong area.
    Now if you had asked the Strathspey Server group first, I bet you would have
    got the information you needed.

    That said: I am still looking for the 2 dances requested the other day. I
    have been in touch with Glasgow and no repsonse from them either. So there
    you have it.
    Cheers
    Marie
  • ...

    Pia Walker April 25, 2006, 7:27 p.m. (Message 45117, in reply to message 45115)

    I think Roshen is in India and since I never met any of the group I wouldn't
    know who taught them :>)
    Well not asking Strathspey was my first and biggest mistake :>) I should
    know by now that it is an all-knowing service.

    Pia
  • ...

    Breest, Anja April 26, 2006, 10:31 a.m. (Message 45119, in reply to message 45108)

    Well, even if you do have the right place and the right time to go, there
    could always be a reason why an that specific day you would like to come
    there is no dancing.

    So I would advice: NEVER go to a dancing without checking with somebody
    form the group.

    We like to have guests and we hate to have them standing outside the door
    ;-)

    Greetings,
     Anja

    Cologne Scottish Country Dancers (Germany)