International Dance Council

Alan Harrison

April 12, 2006, 12:19 p.m. (Message 45012)

Dear All,

I have received an e-mail from the "International Dance Council" asking me
to register with them.  Not sure if this could be spam.  Has anyone else
come across this organisation?

Best Regards,
Alan Harrison
RSCDS Leeds Branch
http://www.piper-alan.co.uk
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

April 12, 2006, 12:47 p.m. (Message 45013, in reply to message 45012)

On 12/04/2006 12:19, Alan J Harrison wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have received an e-mail from the "International Dance Council" asking me
> to register with them.  Not sure if this could be spam.  Has anyone else
> come across this organisation?
>
> Best Regards,
> Alan Harrison
> RSCDS Leeds Branch
> http://www.piper-alan.co.uk

Avoid!!!!

They have been spamming me for years. I never registered with them, they
have no unsubscribe method and all attempts at getting them to stop are
ignored.

Alan
L. Friedman-Shedlov

L. Friedman-Shedlov

April 12, 2006, 3:44 p.m. (Message 45016, in reply to message 45013)

> Avoid!!!!
>
> They have been spamming me for years. I never registered with them, they have
> no unsubscribe method and all attempts at getting them to stop are ignored.
>

> Alan

Ditto this!  I have tried numerous times and in different ways to get off
their mailing lists, to no avail.

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Alexandre Rafalovitch

Alexandre Rafalovitch

April 12, 2006, 4:19 p.m. (Message 45017, in reply to message 45016)

Did anybody try this email address?
xxxxxxxxx@xxx-xxxxxx.xxx

And if that fails to: xxx@xxxxxx.xxx

Maybe if everybody emails at once they will notice it....

Alex.
P.s. It is supposed to be a UNESCO organisation. Not fully clued-in,
but not malicious. Strange that it would be that difficult.
L. Friedman-Shedlov

L. Friedman-Shedlov

April 12, 2006, 4:28 p.m. (Message 45018, in reply to message 45017)

Yes, I have tried sending requests and complaints to that address and got
no response or results. / Lara Friedman-Shedlov

********************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"
********************************
Alexandre Rafalovitch

Alexandre Rafalovitch

April 12, 2006, 4:49 p.m. (Message 45019, in reply to message 45018)

Hmm,

There is also xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx , that's the other email address of the
group's president (Alkis Raftis).

They seem to have a Skype account now, but I can't find the name of
it. Maybe CID President or some such.

Finally, if anybody is in Paris, they could send a letter on behalf of
all of us to the registration address. That would be an escalation of
sort.

And of course, this issue is now searchable on the internet by the
name of Alkis Raftis, so maybe that will bring some action via name
search.

It is strange however. The website is not dead, the email address is
the same one given everywhere. You got no response, could they have
just silently took you off (sometimes it takes a long while too from
the experience).

Regards,
   Alex.
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

April 12, 2006, 6:17 p.m. (Message 45021, in reply to message 45019)

I found this by searching on unesco dance

http://www.iti-worldwide.org/pages/danceboard.htm

One could always ask them if they are aware of this and ask for an
explanation

Pia
Angus Henry

Angus Henry

April 13, 2006, 4:44 a.m. (Message 45027, in reply to message 45013)

On 12-04-2006, at 20:17 , Alan Paterson wrote:

> On 12/04/2006 12:19, Alan J Harrison wrote:
>> Dear All,
>> I have received an e-mail from the "International Dance Council"
>> asking me
>> to register with them.  Not sure if this could be spam.  Has
>> anyone else
>> come across this organisation?
>> Best Regards,
>> Alan Harrison
>> RSCDS Leeds Branch
>> http://www.piper-alan.co.uk
>
> Avoid!!!!
>
> They have been spamming me for years. I never registered with them,
> they have no unsubscribe method and all attempts at getting them to
> stop are ignored.
>

> Alan

My experience too!  An absolute nuisance.

Angus

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *
*     *
   Angus & Puka Henry:– 4 Eagle Court, Wulagi, DARWIN, NT 0812,
AUSTRALIA
PHONE: (International) + 61 (0)8 8927 9203
FAX: available: phone first to arrange.
Website: <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>
Phill Jones

Phill Jones

April 12, 2006, 12:51 p.m. (Message 45014, in reply to message 45012)

Yep, me too.  They drive me mad!!!  Have got them as an outright block
in my spam filter now.
Bryan McAlister

Bryan McAlister

April 12, 2006, 3:35 p.m. (Message 45015, in reply to message 45012)

Try this for some  information

http://www.unesco.org/ngo/cid/infoA.htm

and dont be too quick to send money!

  message <005b01c65e1a$a71eebe0$xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Alan J Harrison
<x.x.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx> writes

--
Bryan McAlister
Sophie Rickebusch

Sophie Rickebusch

April 12, 2006, 5:46 p.m. (Message 45020, in reply to message 45012)

Thanks for that Alex! I've just tried it, hope it works (yep, I'm also on their
list). If not, I might try calling a member of my family who used to work at
UNESCO - she might know who's got the clout to give the CID an official rap on
the knuckles (or whatever) if we all complain. Anyway, please all keep us posted
on your success (or lack thereof) in getting off their list.

Cheers,
Sophie
(Off to go and post my report for unit 4 (TC part 2) - phew, glad that's done!)
--
Sophie Rickebusch
CH - Wettswil a. A.

On Wed Apr 12 11:05 , 'Alexandre Rafalovitch' sent:
Alan Harrison

Alan Harrison

April 13, 2006, 9:04 a.m. (Message 45029, in reply to message 45012)

Dear All,

It appears I have hit on a sensitive subject here!  I will consign their
mail to the junk basket.  Hope you all manage to get deregistered.
Best Regards,
Alan Harrison
RSCDS Leeds Branch
http://www.piper-alan.co.uk
Andrea Re

Andrea Re

April 13, 2006, 11:42 p.m. (Message 45042, in reply to message 45029)

Hi there,

I seem to be getting spammed by the above CID. I have received two
e-mails sent to members to this list, but with my address on.....

Make it three: Alexander, Pia and Phil. Am I the only one?

Andrea (fae Dundee)
Patricia Ruggiero

Patricia Ruggiero

April 13, 2006, 11:59 p.m. (Message 45043, in reply to message 45042)

I'm getting IDC replies to various individuals, cc'd to Strathspey, too.
More annoying than even the original post.  They do know how to alienate
folks.

Pat
Charlottesville, Virginia USA
Gary Lindsey

Gary Lindsey

April 13, 2006, 11:59 p.m. (Message 45044, in reply to message 45042)

No, you are NOT alone on the messages.

Gary Lindsey
Flying Ghillies SCD
Dayton, Ohio, USA
www.rscdscincinnati.org
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

April 14, 2006, 12:06 a.m. (Message 45045, in reply to message 45042)

I think what has happened is that other members of strathspey have forwarded
e-mail to the CID and they have done a reply all - or something like that -
I am not too worried about it - three e-mails are not a lot.

I do so love the start of the e-mails :  "I don't understand - what is the
problem?"

Perhaps somebody who have a problem/problems could list it/them for these
poor beings who have no problems at all :>)

Pia
Who have never been spammed by the CID and did not know of them until a few
days ago - it will, however, be interesting to know if my e-mail has been
picked up for use now.
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

April 14, 2006, 12:12 a.m. (Message 45046, in reply to message 45042)

Andrea Re wrote:

> I seem to be getting spammed by the above CID. I have received two
> e-mails sent to members to this list, but with my address on.....
>
> Make it three: Alexander, Pia and Phil. Am I the only one?

Apparently the CID managed to get itself subscribed to the list, so the
messages in question should have gone to everybody. I have put a filter on
that address aeons ago so didn't get copies myself, or I would have noticed
much earlier. I have removed the offending address manually. I don't think
they have the addresses of any list members except possibly those who sent
them complaints.

I'm inclined to give the CID folks the benefit of the doubt and just assume
that they're so stupid they couldn't pour water out of a boot if the
instructions were printed on the heel, rather than think that they subscribed
to the list on purpose specifically to spam everybody. I've been complaining
to them for approximately a century about the spam they send me personally,
so I don't think they actually *read* their incoming mail. Maybe they can't
actually read. If they try to subscribe again I will block them for good as
far as the list is concerned, and perhaps send them a copy or two of the
Linux kernel source code to see if they notice *that*.

And these clowns believe they're in charge of dancing for the whole *world*??
Give me a break.

Anselm
Blind faith in your leaders, or in anything, will get you killed.
                                                          -- Bruce Springsteen
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

April 14, 2006, 12:24 a.m. (Message 45047, in reply to message 45046)

I have sent an e-mail to Illona Copen, USA to ask her where in the greater
scheme of thing the International Dance Council fit in - she is allegedly
the President of the International Dance COMMITTEE of Unesco, so should know
if they are above board or not.

I will let you know if I get an answer.

Pia
Melanie D Pratt

Melanie D Pratt

April 14, 2006, 3:22 a.m. (Message 45049, in reply to message 45047)

Pia, et.alia,

  They just keep trying.  I had never heard of this Samm organizatin
  until last week, when the first enquiry came across Strathspey.
  Today, I had 5 emails from them! I put Spam Alert on it, so I should
  not receive any more.

  Sláinte,
  Melanie the Seanachie
  Member: Heather 'n' Thistle RSCDS
Columbus OH

Melanie D. Pratt
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
Storyteller
614-481-9674

"All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed."
Irish playwright Sean O'Casey
Alexandre Rafalovitch

Alexandre Rafalovitch

April 14, 2006, 4:15 a.m. (Message 45050, in reply to message 45049)

Ok,

Let's just calm down. They are just confused at the other end and
possibly over-automated.

Pia had the right idea. Get to the human and sort this all out.

If she does not get anywhere, we are back to the original position,
which is letting me collect all the email addresses that got that
message individually and deal with the human to unsubscribe them all
in bulk. We now have couple more real people's emails, so can sort it
out.

Remember that Easter/etc. is coming, so they might be at a lower
capacity over the next couple of days. (which might explain the
spaminess if they just blasted off several emails at the end of the
day not realising they were for the same reason).

Regards,
   Alex.
denise smith

denise smith

April 17, 2006, 5:31 a.m. (Message 45061, in reply to message 45042)

No, I think they are sending them to all the people on the list!
Denise Sm ith
Phill Jones

Phill Jones

April 14, 2006, 12:33 a.m. (Message 45048, in reply to message 45012)

Andrea,

You are not alone.  I have received the mail(s) too.  And, just to annoy
me, it's come in on my almost brand new e-mail address, suggestig they
are using the Strathspey server to get their spammable addresses.
Bas***ds!!! (sorry for that small outburst :-D).  So, if they are still
receiving our mails PLEASE REMOVE ME NOW!!!

Phill Jones