Scottish Dance

Thomas G. Mungall, III

April 7, 2006, 9:20 p.m. (Message 44984)

Would someone look at this video and tell me exactly what I am looking at.

http://sites.scran.ac.uk/films_of_scotland/Assets/Movies2/scotland_dances.mov

Are there instructions for this dance? The running step is quite cool and
quite a bit different from the usual footwork. Anyone on list ever danced
this dance? I have a lot more questions, but anything ya'll can tell me
about this dance would be appreciated!

Yours aye,

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Alex Tweedly

Alex Tweedly

April 7, 2006, 9:43 p.m. (Message 44985, in reply to message 44984)

Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:

>Would someone look at this video and tell me exactly what I am looking at.
>
>http://sites.scran.ac.uk/films_of_scotland/Assets/Movies2/scotland_dances.mov
>
>Are there instructions for this dance? The running step is quite cool and
>quite a bit different from the usual footwork. Anyone on list ever danced
>this dance? I have a lot more questions, but anything ya'll can tell me
>about this dance would be appreciated!

Hebridean Weaving Lilt, in the McNab collection.

It's the "traditional" running step used in Hebridean dance - similar to
the step used by some reelers or ceilidh dancers for Strip the Willow.
(I'll leave the argument about how traditional it is, or isn't, to
others - but it's fun to use this step for a change. Strip the Willow
where the active couple decide whether to use running step or skip
change, and the rest of the set follow, is even more interesting).

SMiskoe

SMiskoe

April 7, 2006, 9:58 p.m. (Message 44986, in reply to message 44984)

In a message dated 4/7/2006 3:24:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:

http://sites.scran.ac.uk/films_of_scotland/Assets/Movies2/scotland_dances.mov

It looks to me like the Hebridean Weaving Lilt.  There are lots of
variations.  If you can accept that some dances are more comfortable with  the running
step and the running step is Scottish they can be a lot of  fun.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
simon scott

simon scott

April 7, 2006, 10:19 p.m. (Message 44987, in reply to message 44984)

This looks like the "Hebridean Weaving Lilt", a very descriptive dance
which is danced without the ballet influenced steps.
It is from the collection of Mary Isdale McNab.

Simon
Vancouver

Would someone look at this video and tell me exactly what I am looking
at.

http://sites.scran.ac.uk/films_of_scotland/Assets/Movies2/scotland_dance
s.mov

Are there instructions for this dance? The running step is quite cool
and quite a bit different from the usual footwork. Anyone on list ever
danced this dance? I have a lot more questions, but anything ya'll can
tell me about this dance would be appreciated!

Yours aye,

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA
GOSS9@telefonica.net

GOSS9@telefonica.net

April 7, 2006, 11:53 p.m. (Message 44990, in reply to message 44984)

Your selection is from a film called Scotland through her country
dances, if I seem to remember correctly. I have a copy of it but it is
packed away somewhere. I believe it was made featureing the dem team of
the Edinburgh Branch some time in the 60´s. Someone may want to check
with Mary Murray on this as I believe she was either a member at the
time or a former member, I forget which. All of the dances in the film
were RSCDS published, and they were done in a costume appropriate to
the date of the dance and in appropriate locations. I remember Red
House was done in 17c costumes, no kilts, and both men and women had
wigs and high heeled shoes. Re Simon´s comment, I don´t think this was
a McNab dance as I seem to remember all the dances being RSCDS, I could
of course be wrong on this.
L. Friedman-Shedlov

L. Friedman-Shedlov

April 8, 2006, midnight (Message 44991, in reply to message 44990)

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
> Re Simon´s comment, I don´t think this was
> a McNab dance as I seem to remember all the dances being RSCDS, I could
> of course be wrong on this.

Hebridean Weaving Lilt is indeed published in the McNab dances.  By
the way, I've always considered the McNab dances to be RSCDS dances,
since the McNab books are published by the RSCDS and the dances in them
are included in the index of RSCDS dances.

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"