Scottish Dance

  • ...

    Thomas G. Mungall, III April 7, 2006, 9:20 p.m. (Message 44984)

    Would someone look at this video and tell me exactly what I am looking at.

    http://sites.scran.ac.uk/films_of_scotland/Assets/Movies2/scotland_dances.mov

    Are there instructions for this dance? The running step is quite cool and
    quite a bit different from the usual footwork. Anyone on list ever danced
    this dance? I have a lot more questions, but anything ya'll can tell me
    about this dance would be appreciated!

    Yours aye,

    Tom Mungall
    Baton Rouge, La, USA
  • ...

    Alex Tweedly April 7, 2006, 9:43 p.m. (Message 44985, in reply to message 44984)

    Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:

    >Would someone look at this video and tell me exactly what I am looking at.
    >
    >http://sites.scran.ac.uk/films_of_scotland/Assets/Movies2/scotland_dances.mov
    >
    >Are there instructions for this dance? The running step is quite cool and
    >quite a bit different from the usual footwork. Anyone on list ever danced
    >this dance? I have a lot more questions, but anything ya'll can tell me
    >about this dance would be appreciated!

    Hebridean Weaving Lilt, in the McNab collection.

    It's the "traditional" running step used in Hebridean dance - similar to
    the step used by some reelers or ceilidh dancers for Strip the Willow.
    (I'll leave the argument about how traditional it is, or isn't, to
    others - but it's fun to use this step for a change. Strip the Willow
    where the active couple decide whether to use running step or skip
    change, and the rest of the set follow, is even more interesting).

  • ...

    SMiskoe April 7, 2006, 9:58 p.m. (Message 44986, in reply to message 44984)

    In a message dated 4/7/2006 3:24:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
    xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:

    http://sites.scran.ac.uk/films_of_scotland/Assets/Movies2/scotland_dances.mov

    It looks to me like the Hebridean Weaving Lilt.  There are lots of
    variations.  If you can accept that some dances are more comfortable with  the running
    step and the running step is Scottish they can be a lot of  fun.
    Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
  • ...

    simon scott April 7, 2006, 10:19 p.m. (Message 44987, in reply to message 44984)

    This looks like the "Hebridean Weaving Lilt", a very descriptive dance
    which is danced without the ballet influenced steps.
    It is from the collection of Mary Isdale McNab.

    Simon
    Vancouver

    Would someone look at this video and tell me exactly what I am looking
    at.

    http://sites.scran.ac.uk/films_of_scotland/Assets/Movies2/scotland_dance
    s.mov

    Are there instructions for this dance? The running step is quite cool
    and quite a bit different from the usual footwork. Anyone on list ever
    danced this dance? I have a lot more questions, but anything ya'll can
    tell me about this dance would be appreciated!

    Yours aye,

    Tom Mungall
    Baton Rouge, La, USA
  • ...

    GOSS9@telefonica.net April 7, 2006, 11:53 p.m. (Message 44990, in reply to message 44984)

    Your selection is from a film called Scotland through her country
    dances, if I seem to remember correctly. I have a copy of it but it is
    packed away somewhere. I believe it was made featureing the dem team of
    the Edinburgh Branch some time in the 60´s. Someone may want to check
    with Mary Murray on this as I believe she was either a member at the
    time or a former member, I forget which. All of the dances in the film
    were RSCDS published, and they were done in a costume appropriate to
    the date of the dance and in appropriate locations. I remember Red
    House was done in 17c costumes, no kilts, and both men and women had
    wigs and high heeled shoes. Re Simon´s comment, I don´t think this was
    a McNab dance as I seem to remember all the dances being RSCDS, I could
    of course be wrong on this.
  • ...

    L. Friedman-Shedlov April 8, 2006, midnight (Message 44991, in reply to message 44990)

    On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
    > Re Simon´s comment, I don´t think this was
    > a McNab dance as I seem to remember all the dances being RSCDS, I could
    > of course be wrong on this.

    Hebridean Weaving Lilt is indeed published in the McNab dances.  By
    the way, I've always considered the McNab dances to be RSCDS dances,
    since the McNab books are published by the RSCDS and the dances in them
    are included in the index of RSCDS dances.

    / Lara Friedman-Shedlov
    Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

    Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
    xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"