The Strathspeyer's CD - Mix and Match

  • ...

    suepetyt March 29, 2006, 10:53 a.m. (Message 44892)

    We have hopefully now got a band to record the CD of generic music which was
    the subject of a thread earlier in the year.  We hope to record in August,
    and release in October (the MCPS licencing can take quite a while to come
    through sometimes).

    There were enough requests to make about 4 CDs, so I have picked out the
    most popular and also tried to make it a CD that people will want to listen
    to.

    I would also like to know how many people would be likely to buy one (not a
    commitment) so that we can judge how many copies to make, as we expect it to
    be relatively small numbers it will probably sell at about 16.00 - 17.00 GBP
    in order to cover the costs.

    Questions:-

    1) Does it look like a good variety?

    2) Is it right for most medleys to be strathspey/reel, should there be a
    strathspey/jig, and should they all start with the strathspey or should some
    start quicktime?

    3) Is there anything obvious missing?

    4) How many copies do you think will sell in your area?

    5) Would you be interested in acting as a distributor in your area and
    making some money either for yourself, your group or a charity? (The more
    that are sold, the less each one will cost).

    Proposed tracks - though not in this order on the CD

    Jig 3x32

    Jig 3x40

    Jig 6x32

    Reel 7x32

    Reel 10x32

    Reel 3x40

    Strathspey 6x32

    Strathspey 1x64

    Strathspey 3x40

    Medley 2x32 Reel, 2x32 Strathspey, 2x32 Jig

    Medley 2x32 Strathspey, 2x32 Reel

    Medley 4x32 Strathspey, 4x32 Reel

    Medley 1x32 Strathspey, 1x32 Reel

    Medley 3x40 Strathspey, 3x40 Reel

    Happy Dancing

    Sue Petyt

     <http://www.suepetyt.me.uk> www.suepetyt.me.uk

    Skype Sue Petyt
  • ...

    L. Friedman-Shedlov March 29, 2006, 4:45 p.m. (Message 44894, in reply to message 44892)

    Sounds like a great mix! Thanks so much for making this happen!
    But the price -- Ouch! This will end up being almost twice as much as
    what we usually pay for an SCD CD.  I think we would buy at least one for
    our branch, but at that price, I might hold off on buying a personal
    copy, which I wouldn't hesitate to do if I could get it for $US20 or
    less.

    The one combination I would have liked to see that is missing is a medley:
    3x32J, 2x32S, 3x32R
    It could be just our strange practice here in Minnesota, but when we do
    demonstrations, we usually do the quick-time dances 3x and the strathspeys
    2x.

    And now the big question -- who is the band?  What is the instrumentation?

    / Lara Friedman-Shedlov
    Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

    ********************************
    Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
    xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"
    ********************************
  • ...

    suepetyt March 29, 2006, 4:53 p.m. (Message 44895, in reply to message 44894)

    Name and details of the band will be released later, when agreements have
    been finalised.

    Happy Dancing
    Sue Petyt
    www.suepetyt.me.uk
    Skype Sue Petyt
  • ...

    Jim and Donna Ferguson March 29, 2006, 7:59 p.m. (Message 44896, in reply to message 44892)

    I was passing along the info on the upcoming CD to a friend who is not on
    Strathspey right now, and she sent back the following (in case anyone is
    interested):
    Donna, Kimbolton, OH, USA

    >Donna,
     You might want to send out that there is a CD called "The Odds" by Bobby
    Murray.  It contains:
    4x48 reel
    3x32 jig
    48s/48r
    2x48 reel
    88 jig
    Waltz Country Dance
    5x32 reel (160 set reel)
    80 strathspey
    6x32 jig
    80 reel
    4x16 strathspey
    120 set reel
    6x16 strathspey
    8x40 jig
    32s/32r
  • ...

    Alan Paterson March 30, 2006, 8:58 a.m. (Message 44908, in reply to message 44896)

    On 29/03/2006 19:59, Jim & Donna Ferguson wrote:
    > I was passing along the info on the upcoming CD to a friend who is not on
    > Strathspey right now, and she sent back the following (in case anyone is
    > interested):
    > Donna, Kimbolton, OH, USA
    >

    >  You might want to send out that there is a CD called "The Odds" by Bobby
    > Murray.  It contains:

    Of course I am interested :-}

    Does anyone have this CD and is willing to provide me with the details
    (for DanceData)?

    Alan
  • ...

    George Meikle March 30, 2006, 9:28 a.m. (Message 44911, in reply to message 44908)

    And to me also for inclusion in the Sutton Coldfield Dance Index.

    George Meikle
  • ...

    simon scott March 30, 2006, 2:51 a.m. (Message 44901, in reply to message 44892)

    Questions:-

    1) Does it look like a good variety?

    Medley 4x32 Strathspey, 4x32 Reel

    Medley 3x40 Strathspey, 3x40 Reel

    Sue Petyt

    Hi Sue

    If the proposed CD is directed mainly for demonstration use I would
    think that these two are rather long for that purpose.  Perhaps some of
    the other combinations repeated, but with different tunes, might be more
    useful.

    Simon
    Vancouver
  • ...

    WL Whyte March 30, 2006, 2:37 p.m. (Message 44922, in reply to message 44892)

    Sue Petyt wrote....

    We have hopefully now got a band to record the CD of generic music which was
    the subject of a thread earlier in the year.
    Questions:-

    3) Is there anything obvious missing?
    End of quote

    I remember someone once telling me that when recording the dances for the
    children's medal test CD the band would need to play at different speed than
    normal (I forget whether faster or slower, but different).

    Should 'demonstration-only' CD tracks have faster or slower tempi, or be no
    different?

    And by the way, you forgot to say how many chords !

    William Whyte
  • ...

    Iain Boyd March 30, 2006, 11:56 p.m. (Message 44931, in reply to message 44892)

    Dear Sue,

      A friend who does not subscribe has suggested a set of  3 x 48 bar
      traditional style strathspeys.

      I have checked DancdData and there are already eight 3 x 48 bar
      strathspeys, but, how traditional the tunes are I do not know.

      Regards,

      Iain Boyd