The Strathspeyer's CD - Mix and Match

suepetyt

March 29, 2006, 10:53 a.m. (Message 44892)

We have hopefully now got a band to record the CD of generic music which was
the subject of a thread earlier in the year.  We hope to record in August,
and release in October (the MCPS licencing can take quite a while to come
through sometimes).

There were enough requests to make about 4 CDs, so I have picked out the
most popular and also tried to make it a CD that people will want to listen
to.

I would also like to know how many people would be likely to buy one (not a
commitment) so that we can judge how many copies to make, as we expect it to
be relatively small numbers it will probably sell at about 16.00 - 17.00 GBP
in order to cover the costs.

Questions:-

1) Does it look like a good variety?

2) Is it right for most medleys to be strathspey/reel, should there be a
strathspey/jig, and should they all start with the strathspey or should some
start quicktime?

3) Is there anything obvious missing?

4) How many copies do you think will sell in your area?

5) Would you be interested in acting as a distributor in your area and
making some money either for yourself, your group or a charity? (The more
that are sold, the less each one will cost).

Proposed tracks - though not in this order on the CD

Jig 3x32

Jig 3x40

Jig 6x32

Reel 7x32

Reel 10x32

Reel 3x40

Strathspey 6x32

Strathspey 1x64

Strathspey 3x40

Medley 2x32 Reel, 2x32 Strathspey, 2x32 Jig

Medley 2x32 Strathspey, 2x32 Reel

Medley 4x32 Strathspey, 4x32 Reel

Medley 1x32 Strathspey, 1x32 Reel

Medley 3x40 Strathspey, 3x40 Reel

Happy Dancing

Sue Petyt

 <http://www.suepetyt.me.uk> www.suepetyt.me.uk

Skype Sue Petyt
L. Friedman-Shedlov

L. Friedman-Shedlov

March 29, 2006, 4:45 p.m. (Message 44894, in reply to message 44892)

Sounds like a great mix! Thanks so much for making this happen!
But the price -- Ouch! This will end up being almost twice as much as
what we usually pay for an SCD CD.  I think we would buy at least one for
our branch, but at that price, I might hold off on buying a personal
copy, which I wouldn't hesitate to do if I could get it for $US20 or
less.

The one combination I would have liked to see that is missing is a medley:
3x32J, 2x32S, 3x32R
It could be just our strange practice here in Minnesota, but when we do
demonstrations, we usually do the quick-time dances 3x and the strathspeys
2x.

And now the big question -- who is the band?  What is the instrumentation?

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

********************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"
********************************
suepetyt

suepetyt

March 29, 2006, 4:53 p.m. (Message 44895, in reply to message 44894)

Name and details of the band will be released later, when agreements have
been finalised.

Happy Dancing
Sue Petyt
www.suepetyt.me.uk
Skype Sue Petyt
Jim and Donna Ferguson

Jim and Donna Ferguson

March 29, 2006, 7:59 p.m. (Message 44896, in reply to message 44892)

I was passing along the info on the upcoming CD to a friend who is not on
Strathspey right now, and she sent back the following (in case anyone is
interested):
Donna, Kimbolton, OH, USA

>Donna,
 You might want to send out that there is a CD called "The Odds" by Bobby
Murray.  It contains:
4x48 reel
3x32 jig
48s/48r
2x48 reel
88 jig
Waltz Country Dance
5x32 reel (160 set reel)
80 strathspey
6x32 jig
80 reel
4x16 strathspey
120 set reel
6x16 strathspey
8x40 jig
32s/32r
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

March 30, 2006, 8:58 a.m. (Message 44908, in reply to message 44896)

On 29/03/2006 19:59, Jim & Donna Ferguson wrote:
> I was passing along the info on the upcoming CD to a friend who is not on
> Strathspey right now, and she sent back the following (in case anyone is
> interested):
> Donna, Kimbolton, OH, USA
>

>  You might want to send out that there is a CD called "The Odds" by Bobby
> Murray.  It contains:

Of course I am interested :-}

Does anyone have this CD and is willing to provide me with the details
(for DanceData)?

Alan
George Meikle

George Meikle

March 30, 2006, 9:28 a.m. (Message 44911, in reply to message 44908)

And to me also for inclusion in the Sutton Coldfield Dance Index.

George Meikle
simon scott

simon scott

March 30, 2006, 2:51 a.m. (Message 44901, in reply to message 44892)

Questions:-

1) Does it look like a good variety?

Medley 4x32 Strathspey, 4x32 Reel

Medley 3x40 Strathspey, 3x40 Reel

Sue Petyt

Hi Sue

If the proposed CD is directed mainly for demonstration use I would
think that these two are rather long for that purpose.  Perhaps some of
the other combinations repeated, but with different tunes, might be more
useful.

Simon
Vancouver
WL Whyte

WL Whyte

March 30, 2006, 2:37 p.m. (Message 44922, in reply to message 44892)

Sue Petyt wrote....

We have hopefully now got a band to record the CD of generic music which was
the subject of a thread earlier in the year.
Questions:-

3) Is there anything obvious missing?
End of quote

I remember someone once telling me that when recording the dances for the
children's medal test CD the band would need to play at different speed than
normal (I forget whether faster or slower, but different).

Should 'demonstration-only' CD tracks have faster or slower tempi, or be no
different?

And by the way, you forgot to say how many chords !

William Whyte
Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

March 30, 2006, 11:56 p.m. (Message 44931, in reply to message 44892)

Dear Sue,

  A friend who does not subscribe has suggested a set of  3 x 48 bar
  traditional style strathspeys.

  I have checked DancdData and there are already eight 3 x 48 bar
  strathspeys, but, how traditional the tunes are I do not know.

  Regards,

  Iain Boyd