Two Chords - from a deviser's point of view

  • ...

    Iain Boyd March 25, 2006, 2:10 a.m. (Message 44876)

    Charles Upton wrote -

      If we have a live band I check with the band that the dance will be
      preceded by 2 chords and that if a encore is needed, it will be
      preceded by 1 chord. If this is agreed then I don't have to make any
      statement whatsoever as this is the norm.

      Unfortunately, two chords for dances where 3rd and 4th couples or
      2nd and 4th couples or (occasionally) 1st and 3rd couples cross over
      before beginning is, in my mind, not the norm.

      It is a custom that was introduced by John Drewry and which has been
      taken up by some other devisers who have devised similar dances.

      When I have devised dances of this sort I have provided a diagram or
      instructions specifying the 'starting positions'.

      I do not like two chords for positioning purposes and do not specify
      them in the instructions for my dances and would prefer that two
      chords not be used.

      However, local custom will often prevail.

      Regards,

      Iain Boyd

  • ...

    simon scott March 25, 2006, 3:01 a.m. (Message 44877, in reply to message 44876)

    Unfortunately, two chords for dances where 3rd and 4th couples or 2nd
    and 4th couples or (occasionally) 1st and 3rd couples cross over before
    beginning is, in my mind, not the norm.

      It is a custom that was introduced by John Drewry and which has been
    taken up by some other devisers who have devised similar dances.

      When I have devised dances of this sort I have provided a diagram or
    instructions specifying the 'starting positions'.

      I do not like two chords for positioning purposes and do not specify
    them in the instructions for my dances and would prefer that two chords
    not be used.

      However, local custom will often prevail.

      Regards,

      Iain Boyd

    I completely agree with Iain and I'd go as far as to say that if dancers
    originally stand on the traditional side of the set in such dances they
    are in fact in the "wrong" or "inappropriate" place.

    Simon

    http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
  • ...

    Alasdair Graham March 25, 2006, 10:19 a.m. (Message 44878, in reply to message 44877)

    At all the dances I have attended in Scotland TWO chords ARE the norm for
    the start of such dances and only ONE chord for the encore.  The reason
    being that the second time through the dancers are already in the correct
    position.
    This applies whether a live band is playing or CD's are being used.
    I would agree with Charles on this one and it would appear Scotland has
    "wonderful dancers" too.

    The same applies to the ceilidh dance scene here when they are dancing the
    set dances.  At ceilidh dances the band usually act as MC and if they forget
    the second chord on the first playing the dancers just don't start dancing.

    Alasdair Graham
    Dumbarton, Scotland
  • ...

    campbell March 25, 2006, 12:19 p.m. (Message 44879, in reply to message 44878)

    Alasdair wrote:

    > At all the dances I have attended in Scotland TWO chords ARE the norm for
    > the start of such dances and only ONE chord for the encore.  The reason
    > being that the second time through the dancers are already in the correct
    > position.
    > This applies whether a live band is playing or CD's are being used.
    > I would agree with Charles on this one and it would appear Scotland has
    > "wonderful dancers" too.
    >
    > The same applies to the ceilidh dance scene here when they are dancing the
    > set dances.  At ceilidh dances the band usually act as MC and if they
    > forget
    > the second chord on the first playing the dancers just don't start
    > dancing.

    That clinches the argument for me - if the Scottish can do it then surely
    the rest of us can too.  And if the Scottish DO do it, then we SHOULD too.
     But now can we move on, because this is becoming a bit of a tennis match
    between Simon and whoever will answer him.

    Campbell
  • ...

    Bryan McAlister March 25, 2006, 1:24 p.m. (Message 44880, in reply to message 44879)

    But some Scots think it's daft.

    In message <xxxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxxx.xxx>,
    xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xx.xx writes

    --
    Bryan McAlister
  • ...

    Ron Mackey March 26, 2006, 1:03 a.m. (Message 44881, in reply to message 44879)

    > That clinches the argument for me - if the Scottish can do it then surely
    > the rest of us can too.  And if the Scottish DO do it, then we SHOULD too.
    >  But now can we move on, because this is becoming a bit of a tennis match
    > between Simon and whoever will answer him.
    >
    > Campbell

    	Well, it doesn't for me!
    I've been carrying out a quick poll of the dancers I meet each week
    and the vast majority say that the usual two chords produce a messy
    and untidy feel to the start of a dance.
  • ...

    Iain Boyd March 26, 2006, 5:57 a.m. (Message 44882, in reply to message 44879)

    That clinches the argument for me - if the Scottish can do it then
    surely the rest of us can too. And if the Scottish DO do it, then we
    SHOULD too.
      I am sorry, Campbell, but I take exception to the statement that "if
      the Scottish DO do it, then we SHOULD too."

      Blindly following what is done in Scotland is not necessarily doing
      the right/correct thing.

      As many will be aware, I am not a 'yes man'!

      Regards,

      Iain Boyd