Two Chords - from a deviser's point of view

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

March 25, 2006, 2:10 a.m. (Message 44876)

Charles Upton wrote -

  If we have a live band I check with the band that the dance will be
  preceded by 2 chords and that if a encore is needed, it will be
  preceded by 1 chord. If this is agreed then I don't have to make any
  statement whatsoever as this is the norm.

  Unfortunately, two chords for dances where 3rd and 4th couples or
  2nd and 4th couples or (occasionally) 1st and 3rd couples cross over
  before beginning is, in my mind, not the norm.

  It is a custom that was introduced by John Drewry and which has been
  taken up by some other devisers who have devised similar dances.

  When I have devised dances of this sort I have provided a diagram or
  instructions specifying the 'starting positions'.

  I do not like two chords for positioning purposes and do not specify
  them in the instructions for my dances and would prefer that two
  chords not be used.

  However, local custom will often prevail.

  Regards,

  Iain Boyd

simon scott

simon scott

March 25, 2006, 3:01 a.m. (Message 44877, in reply to message 44876)

Unfortunately, two chords for dances where 3rd and 4th couples or 2nd
and 4th couples or (occasionally) 1st and 3rd couples cross over before
beginning is, in my mind, not the norm.

  It is a custom that was introduced by John Drewry and which has been
taken up by some other devisers who have devised similar dances.

  When I have devised dances of this sort I have provided a diagram or
instructions specifying the 'starting positions'.

  I do not like two chords for positioning purposes and do not specify
them in the instructions for my dances and would prefer that two chords
not be used.

  However, local custom will often prevail.

  Regards,

  Iain Boyd

I completely agree with Iain and I'd go as far as to say that if dancers
originally stand on the traditional side of the set in such dances they
are in fact in the "wrong" or "inappropriate" place.

Simon

http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
Alasdair Graham

Alasdair Graham

March 25, 2006, 10:19 a.m. (Message 44878, in reply to message 44877)

At all the dances I have attended in Scotland TWO chords ARE the norm for
the start of such dances and only ONE chord for the encore.  The reason
being that the second time through the dancers are already in the correct
position.
This applies whether a live band is playing or CD's are being used.
I would agree with Charles on this one and it would appear Scotland has
"wonderful dancers" too.

The same applies to the ceilidh dance scene here when they are dancing the
set dances.  At ceilidh dances the band usually act as MC and if they forget
the second chord on the first playing the dancers just don't start dancing.

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland
campbell

campbell

March 25, 2006, 12:19 p.m. (Message 44879, in reply to message 44878)

Alasdair wrote:

> At all the dances I have attended in Scotland TWO chords ARE the norm for
> the start of such dances and only ONE chord for the encore.  The reason
> being that the second time through the dancers are already in the correct
> position.
> This applies whether a live band is playing or CD's are being used.
> I would agree with Charles on this one and it would appear Scotland has
> "wonderful dancers" too.
>
> The same applies to the ceilidh dance scene here when they are dancing the
> set dances.  At ceilidh dances the band usually act as MC and if they
> forget
> the second chord on the first playing the dancers just don't start
> dancing.

That clinches the argument for me - if the Scottish can do it then surely
the rest of us can too.  And if the Scottish DO do it, then we SHOULD too.
 But now can we move on, because this is becoming a bit of a tennis match
between Simon and whoever will answer him.

Campbell
Bryan McAlister

Bryan McAlister

March 25, 2006, 1:24 p.m. (Message 44880, in reply to message 44879)

But some Scots think it's daft.

In message <xxxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxxx.xxx>,
xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xx.xx writes

--
Bryan McAlister
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

March 26, 2006, 1:03 a.m. (Message 44881, in reply to message 44879)

> That clinches the argument for me - if the Scottish can do it then surely
> the rest of us can too.  And if the Scottish DO do it, then we SHOULD too.
>  But now can we move on, because this is becoming a bit of a tennis match
> between Simon and whoever will answer him.
>
> Campbell

	Well, it doesn't for me!
I've been carrying out a quick poll of the dancers I meet each week
and the vast majority say that the usual two chords produce a messy
and untidy feel to the start of a dance.
Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

March 26, 2006, 5:57 a.m. (Message 44882, in reply to message 44879)

That clinches the argument for me - if the Scottish can do it then
surely the rest of us can too. And if the Scottish DO do it, then we
SHOULD too.
  I am sorry, Campbell, but I take exception to the statement that "if
  the Scottish DO do it, then we SHOULD too."

  Blindly following what is done in Scotland is not necessarily doing
  the right/correct thing.

  As many will be aware, I am not a 'yes man'!

  Regards,

  Iain Boyd