Dashing White Sergeant (was Two Chords)

Jim Healy

March 22, 2006, 9:12 a.m. (Message 44832)

Greetings!

Simon Scott writes:

>As Iain Boyd said earlier two chords would be more useful in the Dashing
>White Sergeant. There they would have a valid purpose.

The old timers on this list will be unsurprised at my approximately biennial
answer to this question. The DWS always did, and IMO should always still,
start with a four bar intro. That allows plenty of time for the centre
person to acknowledge both partners and both lines of three to make eye
contact.

Jim Healy
Perth and Monaco
Chris1Ronald

Chris1Ronald

March 22, 2006, 9:47 p.m. (Message 44846, in reply to message 44832)

Jim Healy wrote:
"The old timers on this list will be unsurprised at my approximately
biennial
answer to this question. The DWS always did, and IMO should always  still,
start with a four bar intro. That allows plenty of time for the  centre
person to acknowledge both partners and both lines of three to make  eye
contact."

I'm glad you wrote it again, Jim, as I don't remember reading it  before.  In
fact, I don't remember hearing it on a recording,  either.  Your remarks had
me scurrying for my recordings of DWS.   Curiously, as you certainly know, the
two RSCDS recordings (Music for Collins  Pocket Reference volume 2, and A
Scottish Celebration) that I own both have  just a single chord.

A four-bar, or two-chord, intro clearly makes sense in this type of  dance,
but I wonder how newer teachers or MCs or musicians could discover  that this
is an accepted - or even preferred - intro, other than by reading your
biennial contribution on the subject on the Strathspey list!  I don't  suppose
there's anything about it in the new manual (in the Bow and Curtsey  section) is
there?  (I don't have my copy of the manual  handy.)

Chris, New York.
simon scott

simon scott

March 22, 2006, 10:10 p.m. (Message 44847, in reply to message 44846)

Chris wrote:
I'm glad you wrote it again, Jim, as I don't remember reading it
before.  In
fact, I don't remember hearing it on a recording,  either.  Your remarks
had
me scurrying for my recordings of DWS.

	Chris, listen to track 9 on Bobby Brown's "Grandfather Mountain"
CD, if you have it. It's a very good CD.  I always remember DWS this
way.

Simon
Vancouver
Jock McVlug

Jock McVlug

March 23, 2006, 1:41 a.m. (Message 44852, in reply to message 44847)

Jim Healy wrote:
 "The old timers on this list will be unsurprised at my approximately
 biennial  answer to this question. The DWS always did, and IMO should
always
 still,  start with a four bar intro. That allows plenty of time for the
centre
 person to acknowledge both partners and both lines of three to make  eye
 contact."

Add me to the list favouring the 4 bar intro for DWS. And no better version
exists (in my opinion)
than Ian MacPhail and his band from the tape "Scotland- The Dances and Dance
Bands"
(Tunes are Dashing White Sergeant, Caddam Woods, and Miss Suzanne Barbour)

Jack in Beautiful British Columbia
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

March 23, 2006, 1:15 a.m. (Message 44851, in reply to message 44846)

I don't  suppose
> there's anything about it in the new manual (in the Bow and Curtsey  section) is
> there?  (I don't have my copy of the manual  handy.)
>
> Chris, New York.

	Probably doesn't tackle the really important & tricky
questions, Chris!  :~))
Ron
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

March 23, 2006, 9:59 a.m. (Message 44857, in reply to message 44846)

Greetings!

>In fact, I don't remember hearing it ( a four bar intro) on a recording,
>either.

The most recent I know of is Bobby Crowe's Step in Time cassette that I have
had transferred to CD. I don't know if that is available commercially. I
have also tried, with some success, to reintroduce it when I am MC - the
bands have no problem with it and, unlike dancing to the pipes, the majority
of less experienced dancers seem to cope as long as they are warned.

Jim Healy
Perth and Monaco