Dashing White Sergeant (was Two Chords)

  • ...

    Jim Healy March 22, 2006, 9:12 a.m. (Message 44832)

    Greetings!

    Simon Scott writes:

    >As Iain Boyd said earlier two chords would be more useful in the Dashing
    >White Sergeant. There they would have a valid purpose.

    The old timers on this list will be unsurprised at my approximately biennial
    answer to this question. The DWS always did, and IMO should always still,
    start with a four bar intro. That allows plenty of time for the centre
    person to acknowledge both partners and both lines of three to make eye
    contact.

    Jim Healy
    Perth and Monaco
  • ...

    Chris1Ronald March 22, 2006, 9:47 p.m. (Message 44846, in reply to message 44832)

    Jim Healy wrote:
    "The old timers on this list will be unsurprised at my approximately
    biennial
    answer to this question. The DWS always did, and IMO should always  still,
    start with a four bar intro. That allows plenty of time for the  centre
    person to acknowledge both partners and both lines of three to make  eye
    contact."

    I'm glad you wrote it again, Jim, as I don't remember reading it  before.  In
    fact, I don't remember hearing it on a recording,  either.  Your remarks had
    me scurrying for my recordings of DWS.   Curiously, as you certainly know, the
    two RSCDS recordings (Music for Collins  Pocket Reference volume 2, and A
    Scottish Celebration) that I own both have  just a single chord.

    A four-bar, or two-chord, intro clearly makes sense in this type of  dance,
    but I wonder how newer teachers or MCs or musicians could discover  that this
    is an accepted - or even preferred - intro, other than by reading your
    biennial contribution on the subject on the Strathspey list!  I don't  suppose
    there's anything about it in the new manual (in the Bow and Curtsey  section) is
    there?  (I don't have my copy of the manual  handy.)

    Chris, New York.
  • ...

    simon scott March 22, 2006, 10:10 p.m. (Message 44847, in reply to message 44846)

    Chris wrote:
    I'm glad you wrote it again, Jim, as I don't remember reading it
    before.  In
    fact, I don't remember hearing it on a recording,  either.  Your remarks
    had
    me scurrying for my recordings of DWS.

    	Chris, listen to track 9 on Bobby Brown's "Grandfather Mountain"
    CD, if you have it. It's a very good CD.  I always remember DWS this
    way.

    Simon
    Vancouver
  • ...

    Jock McVlug March 23, 2006, 1:41 a.m. (Message 44852, in reply to message 44847)

    Jim Healy wrote:
     "The old timers on this list will be unsurprised at my approximately
     biennial  answer to this question. The DWS always did, and IMO should
    always
     still,  start with a four bar intro. That allows plenty of time for the
    centre
     person to acknowledge both partners and both lines of three to make  eye
     contact."

    Add me to the list favouring the 4 bar intro for DWS. And no better version
    exists (in my opinion)
    than Ian MacPhail and his band from the tape "Scotland- The Dances and Dance
    Bands"
    (Tunes are Dashing White Sergeant, Caddam Woods, and Miss Suzanne Barbour)

    Jack in Beautiful British Columbia
  • ...

    Ron Mackey March 23, 2006, 1:15 a.m. (Message 44851, in reply to message 44846)

    I don't  suppose
    > there's anything about it in the new manual (in the Bow and Curtsey  section) is
    > there?  (I don't have my copy of the manual  handy.)
    >
    > Chris, New York.

    	Probably doesn't tackle the really important & tricky
    questions, Chris!  :~))
    Ron
  • ...

    Jim Healy March 23, 2006, 9:59 a.m. (Message 44857, in reply to message 44846)

    Greetings!

    >In fact, I don't remember hearing it ( a four bar intro) on a recording,
    >either.

    The most recent I know of is Bobby Crowe's Step in Time cassette that I have
    had transferred to CD. I don't know if that is available commercially. I
    have also tried, with some success, to reintroduce it when I am MC - the
    bands have no problem with it and, unlike dancing to the pipes, the majority
    of less experienced dancers seem to cope as long as they are warned.

    Jim Healy
    Perth and Monaco