dance notes

  • ...

    Ian Brockbank March 21, 2006, 1:45 p.m. (Message 44808)

    Hi All,

    I've just received this offer.  Anyone interested?

    Cheers,

    Ian Brockbank
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    http://www.scottishdance.net/
  • ...

    Loretta Holz March 21, 2006, 3:47 p.m. (Message 44811, in reply to message 44808)

    Ian wrote
    >I've just received this offer.  Anyone interested?
    I'm interested.

    Marian--
    I will be glad to pay the postage.  I have just become the leader of our
    local SCD group and am always looking for new and interesting dances to
    present.

    Loretta Holz
    4 Christy Drive
    Warren, NJ 07059
    USA
  • ...

    Victor Jason Raymond March 21, 2006, 3:49 p.m. (Message 44813, in reply to message 44808)

    Dear Ian,

    If nobody else has yet claimed them, I'd be happy to get them!

    Victor Raymond
    602 Clark Ave. #1
    Ames, IA 50010

    At 06:45 AM 3/21/2006, you wrote:
    >Hi All,
    >
    >I've just received this offer.  Anyone interested?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Ian Brockbank
    >Edinburgh, Scotland
    >xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    >http://www.scottishdance.net/

    Victor J Raymond
    vraymond "at"  iastate.edu
  • ...

    Martin March 21, 2006, 3:50 p.m. (Message 44814, in reply to message 44808)

  • ...

    simon scott March 21, 2006, 5:17 p.m. (Message 44817, in reply to message 44808)

    That is a very generous offer.  Rather than going to one person could
    they be copied onto sheets and be available to many.
    Simon
    Vancouver

    Hi All,

    I've just received this offer.  Anyone interested?

    Cheers,

    Ian Brockbank
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    http://www.scottishdance.net/
  • ...

    John Chambers March 24, 2006, 5:09 a.m. (Message 44864, in reply to message 44808)

    | That is a very generous offer.  Rather than going to one person could
    | they be copied onto sheets and be available to many.
    | Simon
    | Vancouver

    There is a growing practice of scanning pages of  documents
    and putting them on a web site, where interested people are
    invited to transcribe them  into  a  form  more  usable  by
    computers.   The  Gutenberg project has done this with some
    rare old books, for example.  There are any number of  such
    projects that you can get involved with.

    The most unusual case that I know of: The  big  archaeology
    news  in  Central  America  has been the deciphering of the
    classical Mayan writing.  There are thousands of  "stelae",
    carved  stone  columns  covered  with writing, all over the
    area. They are mostly historical markers. People are taking
    digital photos of them, putting them online, and asking any
    interested people to help transcribe them.  The result will
    be an extensive history of the area from before the Spanish
    arrived, burned all the libraries, and  killed  anyone  who
    could read and write.  You have to learn the Mayan language
    to help out in this effort, of course.

    --
       _,
       O   John Chambers