Two chords - a question (as to definition)

Volleyballjerry

Volleyballjerry

March 20, 2006, 8:39 p.m. (Message 44779)

Eike,

There are many four-couple dances which begin (each round) with the couples
three and four on the opposite side.  It has been traditional (but nowadays
increasingly questioned) to begin with everyone in a normal four-couple longwise
set and for the dance's music to begin with two chords, the first for the
usual bows and curtseys, the second for the lower two couples to change sides
prior to the actual outset of dancing.

Likewise regards from Southern California,
Robb

In a message dated 03/20/2006 10:01:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
xxxx.xxxxxx-xxx@xxx.xx writes:
Eike Albert-Unt

Eike Albert-Unt

March 20, 2006, 8:44 p.m. (Message 44781, in reply to message 44779)

Thank you. I am starting to get the idea of what is meant by this. Not
forming an opinion though, mind you ;-)

Best regards,
from oh so deep snow
Eike
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

March 21, 2006, 12:09 a.m. (Message 44790, in reply to message 44779)

> Eike,
>
> There are many four-couple dances which begin (each round) with the couples
> three and four on the opposite side.  It has been traditional (but nowadays
> increasingly questioned) to begin with everyone in a normal four-couple longwise
> set and for the dance's music to begin with two chords, the first for the
> usual bows and curtseys, the second for the lower two couples to change sides
> prior to the actual outset of dancing.

	Not wishing to upstage anyone but while you are on a
learning curve Eike there are, also, quite a few dances in which the
2nd and 4th couple start on the 'wrong' side.