hands or not? - "Wickstead Delight"

  • ...

    Iain Boyd March 18, 2006, 2:20 a.m. (Message 44738)

    Dear Fran,

      The instructions actually specify hands - ".. giving right then left
      - and turn the third person ..".

      What is not clear to me is whether anyone other than first couple
      are involved. I am going to assume that second and third couples are
      only involved when first couple give them a hand to change places.

      Also, I assume the phrasing for first couple is 'change right on 1,
      change left on 2 and half turn right on 3 and 4'.

      This does make it difficult for second couple who will be changing
      places on 2 - with the left foot only or do they actually use bars 2
      and 3? This would be much easier if in strathspey time.

      Also, does the movement back to places start with right or left hands?

      DanceData does not include this dance. Can you provide me with a
      copy or advise me where I can obtain a copy from.

      Regards,

      Iain Boyd
      P O Box 11-404
      Wellington
      New Zealand

    xxxx-xxxx@xxxxxxx.xx.xx wrote:
      Can anyone shed light on the following 8 bars of Wickstead Delight?

    It's not clear to me whether dancers should pass shoulders
    or give hands!

    Third Figure
    24 - 32 All dance a "Broken Chain" round and back.
    (Begin facing partner and pass two - giving right then left - and turn
    the third person half round with right, then chain back again to places)

    Fran Smith (Herefordshire and South Wales)
  • ...

    simon scott March 18, 2006, 6:14 p.m. (Message 44740, in reply to message 44738)

    In these instructions, what is the difference between a "pass" and a
    "half turn"? Should bars 3 and 4 not be a full turn in order to come
    back, if it is to come back the way you came?
    I don't know the dance and would like to see the rest of the
    instructions.
    Simon
    Vancouver
  • ...

    Jan E Rudge March 21, 2006, 4:55 p.m. (Message 44816, in reply to message 44738)

    <What is not clear to me is whether anyone other than first couple are
    involved. I am going to assume that second and third couples are only
    involved when first couple give them a hand to change places.>

    I've never come across this dance, but for no particular reason
    I immediately visualised from Fran's original question and the
    snippet of the instructions that this would be 4 couples in a square
    set.

    This would make the figure similar to the interlocking reels
    in 1314 for example (often called banana reels hereabouts),
    but giving hands as you go.

    Regards,

    Jan

    Beaconsfield, UK
    RSCDS London Branch
  • ...

    Fran Smith March 21, 2006, 10:50 p.m. (Message 44824, in reply to message 44738)

    The dance is , indeed, 4 couples in a Square set. I should have
    said so before but was having trouble getting through -
    Strathspey does NOT like lycos, so my third attempt came via
    a different address after typing the mesage yet aggain.
     For those who have requested instructions I'll send them along
    when I can get a decent scan ( or time to type them out, I only
    have a photocopy at the moment)
    	Fran

    Lycos email has 300 Megabytes of free storage... Get it now at mail.lycos.co.uk