hands or not? - "Wickstead Delight"

Iain Boyd

March 18, 2006, 2:20 a.m. (Message 44738)

Dear Fran,

  The instructions actually specify hands - ".. giving right then left
  - and turn the third person ..".

  What is not clear to me is whether anyone other than first couple
  are involved. I am going to assume that second and third couples are
  only involved when first couple give them a hand to change places.

  Also, I assume the phrasing for first couple is 'change right on 1,
  change left on 2 and half turn right on 3 and 4'.

  This does make it difficult for second couple who will be changing
  places on 2 - with the left foot only or do they actually use bars 2
  and 3? This would be much easier if in strathspey time.

  Also, does the movement back to places start with right or left hands?

  DanceData does not include this dance. Can you provide me with a
  copy or advise me where I can obtain a copy from.

  Regards,

  Iain Boyd
  P O Box 11-404
  Wellington
  New Zealand

xxxx-xxxx@xxxxxxx.xx.xx wrote:
  Can anyone shed light on the following 8 bars of Wickstead Delight?

It's not clear to me whether dancers should pass shoulders
or give hands!

Third Figure
24 - 32 All dance a "Broken Chain" round and back.
(Begin facing partner and pass two - giving right then left - and turn
the third person half round with right, then chain back again to places)

Fran Smith (Herefordshire and South Wales)
simon scott

simon scott

March 18, 2006, 6:14 p.m. (Message 44740, in reply to message 44738)

In these instructions, what is the difference between a "pass" and a
"half turn"? Should bars 3 and 4 not be a full turn in order to come
back, if it is to come back the way you came?
I don't know the dance and would like to see the rest of the
instructions.
Simon
Vancouver
Jan E Rudge

Jan E Rudge

March 21, 2006, 4:55 p.m. (Message 44816, in reply to message 44738)

<What is not clear to me is whether anyone other than first couple are
involved. I am going to assume that second and third couples are only
involved when first couple give them a hand to change places.>

I've never come across this dance, but for no particular reason
I immediately visualised from Fran's original question and the
snippet of the instructions that this would be 4 couples in a square
set.

This would make the figure similar to the interlocking reels
in 1314 for example (often called banana reels hereabouts),
but giving hands as you go.

Regards,

Jan

Beaconsfield, UK
RSCDS London Branch
Fran Smith

Fran Smith

March 21, 2006, 10:50 p.m. (Message 44824, in reply to message 44738)

The dance is , indeed, 4 couples in a Square set. I should have
said so before but was having trouble getting through -
Strathspey does NOT like lycos, so my third attempt came via
a different address after typing the mesage yet aggain.
 For those who have requested instructions I'll send them along
when I can get a decent scan ( or time to type them out, I only
have a photocopy at the moment)
	Fran

Lycos email has 300 Megabytes of free storage... Get it now at mail.lycos.co.uk